Source codes and resources? anyone?

Started by
6 comments, last by bodhisatva_b 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi ppl, I am an abs beginner to game prog. I have decent knowledge of C/C++ , but none of WIN32 prog! I bought "Tricks of the Windows Game programming Gurus: Fundamentals of 2D and 3D programming". This book is really rare over here (in INDIA).... for tht matter, most game programming books are pretty hard to find!! I wanted to chk the companion CD... well... waddya know, my sis had screwd my DVD RW somehow; wen i put the CD in, i hear a lotta screeching sounds and then tray shoots out like a bullet wid the CD lying on the tray spinning like crazy! I chk the "shiny" side of it, its a goner... i dont even have to put it in a drive to see tht! Ok.. have been rambling on and on... I dont think i can get a replacement for tht CD.. but i still need it for all the source codes and assignments. Can anyone help me out here... i dont need the software and stuff... just the other resources which are vital to complete the book! I hope this is not illegal or anything... coz i DID buy the book! Plz help... Over and out.. Bodhisatva
Any ship can be a minesweeper... once.
Advertisement
What you are asking for is indeed illegal. But if you email the publisher I'm sure you could get a replacement CD sent out.
well.. i guess i can ask the publisher.But i dont know whether he'd be willing to send it to India. Coz this isnt an LPE edition! I actually bought an international edition from a bookshop tht imports books from abroad (Damn thing costs an arm and a leg), so maybe the publishers dont have support for INDIA! (btw, shipping a free replacement CD, can cost them upward of 20USD.... so dont think they'll even consider my request).
Is there any other way i can get some help? This book is very hard to find, so trying to find another book is outta the question!

S.O.S!!

Over and out..
Bodhisatva

btw, an LPE is a Low Price Edition for developing countries; they are meant for countries like India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Nepal,Sri Lanka etc. They cost arnd <1/5th the price of an international editions!
Has the CD ever worked for you? If not, then you're probably safe in going back to the shop where you bought it (or contacting the publisher) and asking for a replacement. However, if your sister definitely damaged it, then you have little or no recourse.
The first time i put the CD in, this happened! I am definitely sure tht my sis had f'ed up my DVDRW drive!! The shop will not replace it coz they simply cant!! They had an only one copy... also , since these editions are not intended for India, i dont think i can get any support from the publisher! Well... i am screwed i guess, i saved up 2 mnths for this book... seems like my game prog dreams are jinxed :(
Only way mite be to download the .iso of the CD from some shady illegal P2P server which i dont think i wanna do.. coz thts totally illegal! If i had to do something like tht, then i wudnt have bot the book in the first place!
Any other ways outta my fix?

Over and out...
Bodhisatva

Email the publisher anyway and see what they say. It could be that will send you out a replacement copy in which case your problem will be solved.
Does anything else work in the drive? If not, then look into getting that fixed, as the CD is probably the least of you worries.
Will send an email to the publisher ASAP.The DVDRW drive was under warranty, so no probs there! I am 100% sure tht i'll get a replacement, its a LITEON! Thanx all for ur help! REally appreciate tht...

Over and out..
Bodhisatva

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement