d3d->EndScene();

FVF and VER are declared this way:

struct CUSTOMVERTEX
{
	float		x,y,z;
	D3DCOLOR	color;
};

#define	FVF		D3DFVF_XYZ|D3DFVF_DIFFUSE

The problem: Nothing shows up. Rendering the D3DFVF_XYZRHW way is ok, so I guess something is with the matrices. Anything I missed? Thanks.
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
Advertisement
I can't see anything obviously wrong with your fragments of code, but a few things to think about:

1. Are you clearing the depth buffer correctly on each frame? clearing to 0.0f can stop things being drawn, as could not clearing it at all.
  2. Try moving the camera back and changing the near plane - values for the near plane that are less than 1.0f (yours is 0.05f) are known to cause numerical instabilities in the projection matrix.
  3. What does the debug output tell you? is it complaining about a failed call - my guess is that it is [smile] crank up the output to maximum and see if it's giving you any clues. Check the link in my signiture below if you're not sure how to do this.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Also, for debugging your app make sure all culling is disabled and D3D lighting is off.
I have already tried the consulting the debug output, as well as manually checking the HRESULT of all d3d functions. Nothing. I tried moving the near plane to 1.0f, no luck. Anyway OpenGL renders correctly with the near plane at 0.05f. I have moved the eye point to (0,0,-10), same result. [crying]
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
I clear this way:
d3d->Clear(0,NULL,D3DCLEAR_TARGET|D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER,D3DCOLOR_RGBA(0,0,255,0),1.0f,0);

and swap the buffers this way:
d3d->Present(NULL,NULL,hWnd,NULL);
And if this helps at all I create the d3d device with the following flags:
D3DCREATE_MULTITHREADED,
D3DCREATE_HARDWARE_VERTEXPROCESSING,
D3DCREATE_PUREDEVICE,
D3DCREATE_NOWINDOWCHANGES

PS: tjsmith, I have brought you back to the light side. [smile]
Quote:Original post by tjsmith
Also, for debugging your app make sure all culling is disabled and D3D lighting is off.

I hadn't thought of the winding order... I'm never any good at working those out from pure code (always need a pen and paper to draw it!).

If you set D3DRS_CULLMODE to D3DCULL_NONE and your triangle appears then you know it's your 3 vertices that are in the wrong order.

If that does turn out to be the issue, then you can just go through the vertices[] lines and swap the 0/1/2 values around until the triangle appears as expected.

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
I hadn't thought of the winding order... I'm never any good at working those out from pure code (always need a pen and paper to draw it!).

If you set D3DRS_CULLMODE to D3DCULL_NONE and your triangle appears then you know it's your 3 vertices that are in the wrong order.

If that does turn out to be the issue, then you can just go through the vertices[] lines and swap the 0/1/2 values around until the triangle appears as expected.

hth
Jack

I'll be beating the dead body of the next person I meet for 24 hours stright. [flaming][flaming][flaming]
Let's see if I can rate both of you up again. Thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement