[.net] New Tilemap Editor written in VB.net

Started by
5 comments, last by Shurijo 18 years, 8 months ago
http://www.forgottenstar.com/EE/ Well I finished work on version 1 of Transmute my Tilemap Editor for my game. Figured I would post it here for others to check out, and if you would like to see the source code let me know. It was written entirely in Visual Basic .NET, using GDI+. Current features WYSIWYG interface Event scripting Minimap Raw map details - View actual data for maps Total Customizable Animations Limitless use of tiles, meaning you can use as many tilesets as you want. 3 layer rendering. (Ground, Detail layer, and above character) Saving and Loading of maps Custom output of map information Boundless clipping. Tiles no longer bind clip info to them, so you can place clip regions where ever you want. 3 types of tools - Pen, Flood Fill, and Eraser 6 sizes of brushes for the Pen tool Syntax highlighting for Transmute scripts version 1.0 http://www.forgottenstar.com/EE/ Well I hope everyone enjoys it, and i'm looking forward to hearing from people about things to add or fix. Thanks. Slyprid
Advertisement
Visual Basic *Shiver*
GDI+ *Shiver*

You might want to check out C# and SDL.NET [smile]. But what you have now looks pretty awesome. A lot of work considering it's using VB and the GDI.

Didius from the SDL.NET forums is working on something that looks quite similar to what you're working on. His project (Darksun Online) is supposedly a 2D MMORPG written using C# and SDL.NET. Here's the discussion on the SDL.NET forums.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
It's true GDI is quite slow but as long as you don't have too much action and use good blitting techniques it should be playable (I wrote a gdi game for a pda and ti worked fine), I personaly do think that SDL or MDX is a better move but hey it works, congrats. Also VB.NET is the same performance as C#, its just the syntax that is a little different atleast I believe that was one of the goals for .NET.

The editor does look nice and easy to figure out what to do and I think that is 70% of a successful editor, keep up the good work.
Ah, the map editor is the only thing in GDI+. The actual game uses Direct3D. Its currently written in Visual Basic .NET but still deciding on if I should port it over to C#. Haven't seen any real need to port it over to C# yet though. Any major reasons why I should port it over? But like I said the map editor is the only thing using GDI+.
Ah well then that makes sense, GDI seems fine for the editor. I don't see a reason to port the thing to C#, you wouldn't gain any performance. The only real reason I see porting it over would be if you wanted to learn C# or wanted some pratice.
Quote:Original post by slypridAny major reasons why I should port it over? But like I said the map editor is the only thing using GDI+.

Aside from getting people to stop going 'ewww, vb!' not really.
Quote:Original post by slyprid
Any major reasons why I should port it over? But like I said the map editor is the only thing using GDI+.

C# and VB.NET produce the same product. They both assemble into MSIL and use the same Framework. If you want C# code, just dump your .exe out into CS files (theres a tool in the SDK framework). Or use a tool like Lutz Reflector, etc.. Unless you really want to learn C#, just keep working in VB.NET. The vast majority of people don't understand that VB.NET != VB6.

I use both and my tastes have slowly grown towards the C/C++/C# style of code (curly brackets vs end if, etc). So I've started my recent projects in C# with very little learning curve since its the exact same libraries, just slight varitions on syntax.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement