• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Vectorg

Learning to use OpenAL

This topic is 4844 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

My game is ready for some sound effects, but I have never done sound programming. I downloaded OpenAL and some tutorials and sample code. Problem is that the samples won't compile for one reason or another. One by Lee Winder looks for "alu.h", which did not download with OpenGL. Another sample by Dan Ricart requires OpenGL to work. Did anyone here get these samples to compile and run? Any suggestions on how I should go about learning to use OpenAL? Thanks.

Advertisement
There's a great article on it here on GameDev: A Guide To Starting With OpenAL. The most common mistake is linking to the library incorrectly. Make sure it's linked up to the correct files in your project properties.

[EDIT] Also, don't rule out the possibility of using the amazing FMOD.

[Edited by - Rob Loach on August 14, 2005 9:28:21 PM]

In addition to that, you will definitly want to check out the great selection of tutorials at DevMaster's OpenAL section.

Quote:
which did not download with OpenGL

I'm not sure if you mean OpenAL since you refered to downloading it earlier, but if you get the OpenAL SDK, everything is there you need. Just make sure you set the correct directory paths for your compiler so it knows where to look for the OpenAL header files.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I downloaded it a few weeks ago and "alu.h" is indeed included.

I had a few compiler issues, I'm using MS .Net 2k3, but it took only seconds to correct. Not sure how OpenGL being required is an issue, takes 2 seconds to download. It's not a virus either :)

Both tutorial sites listed are great OpenAL references, enjoy!

Thanks guys, this is great info.

Anon, I downloaded OpenALSDK.zip from Creative Labs, and it did not contain "alu.h". Is this the download you got? Thanks!

Ah, you are right, no alu.h. Looking around, I found this, so you may need to get on CVS to get that file. I think you should use other tutorials that do not use that file. The sample in the OpenAL SDK shows just about everything you will need to do in order to use OpenAL for this or that. For everything else you can use DevMaster.

Drew, thanks for the help. I got the sample from the SDK working by commenting the EAX options. Just knowing that someone else got this code to work was enough. At least it's a start. Thanks.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!