• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Hero Atanque

I wana know

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
You'll need to know at least Trigenometry and Linear Algebra for the math part. Taking a well rounded education at a college could be very beneficial for you. With your history course, you might learn things and facts that you could put into your games. Going for a BS in Computer Science is a good choice.

You will need to know some math. History you might just take for general education requirements but you probably could take something else instead.

EDIT: you will probably HAVE to take some English classes, yes.

Cool b/c i am thinking of taking Math and other stuff next semister Ill be takeing Illustration and Computer Science this semister. also Ill be taking History also

Guest Anonymous Poster
To be a good game designer you should have atleast a basic understanding of what everyone else on the project will be doing. Like the programmers, artists, etc. Also stop using "n e" when "any" is the word you want. It makes you look stupid and very unprofessional. You won't get away with it soon in college so might as well clean it up now.

Quote:
Original post by dxFoo
Ouch.. although that's true, that's kind of harsh to say to a kid.

It's far nicer than the reply I was going to make.

But yes, most any 4 year program should require [at least] 2 semesters of liberal arts [such as history and literature] and 2 semesters of mathematics.

Quote:
Original post by Hero Atanque
in college do u have to take n e math or history to be in Game Designing?

Your history and english classes will be req by the school most likley. I am starting in a week, and have to take a Composition class, and also a Tech Writing Class(or Composition 2) down the line. If you are getting a CS major a minimal amount of Math is req(To get my CS degree I have to have Calc I, II, and III, and like two other cs courses with math), however if you get a minor in math(which I am also trying to get), you have to have some more (12 for me) hours of Math Credits.

They only history class I am req. to take are American Histroy through 1865 or something like that and U.S. Government and Politics.

Short Summarry from my expirience:

English -- Minimal, I am req. to take Composition I and Composition II/Technical Writing. I have a few others to fufill my humanities credits, such as Intro to Film.

History -- Minimal, I am only taking 2 history classes, but also some geography classes to fufill my social sciences credits.

Math -- Medium, but I have heard it is a great idea to persure at least a math minor. I have also read somewhere in the forums that high level math and high level cs start to go hand in hand eventually.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!