• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mrtie_dye

UAT

This topic is 4843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is anyone here familiar with University of Advancing Technology? I gave up on the search for a degree program with a major in game development a while ago. I can't leave Georgia because my daughter would be too far away from her mom. The only game development program I have found in Georgia is at Georgia Tech, and it is a masters. I might go for my masters one day, but for now, I would just like to get an associates or bachelors under my belt. So, my only option has been online. Most of the online schools I found back when I was activly searching for a school seemed too "fly by night." The type of stuff you would expect to see on a late night infomercial. "Get certified in Game Development in just under 2 hours for only $19.99" I do remember one of these schools had a math course I was interested in, and it was around $50.00, so I figured I would give it a shot. Well, I can't find the dang school now. But in the process of searching for it, I came across UAT. UAT has an online Associates and Bachelors degree program in Game Design. I have looked over the courses, and while I would prefer more of an emphasis on programming, I think they might have exactly what I am looking for. Physics, Calculus I & II, some programming stuff, some graphics stuff, some theory stuff, Artificial Intelligence, etc. I have not made up my mind yet. What do you guys think? I would really like to hear from someone who has actaully attended this school, but any suggestions, comments, or concerns are more than welcome. Any accredited online courses you have expirence with that you would suggest? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Advertisement
Forget about getting a degree in Game Design. A degree in Game Design doesn't mean anything and it won't help you find a job. Go to Georgia Tech and get a Bachelor degree in Computer Science. You will find that it is much more valuable. However, if learning Game Design is your highest priority, you might check out Full Sail in Florida.

I couldn't care less about the degree. I just want the knowledge. I have been teaching myself to program for a couple of years now, off and on. While I have learned a lot, there are huge gaps in my understanding of how things work. I feel that a structured course, starting at point a and ending at point b, might be a much better approach than the haphazard way I have learned things so far.

Still, the more I think about it, the more the idea of continuing to teach myself appeals to me. There are many advantages to learning this way. The disadvantage is that I easily get distracted, and jump from subject to subject. I just need to come up with an outline for my studies, and stick to it. Boy, is that much easier said than done.

As far as the computer science degree, again, I couldn't care less about the degree. I started working on an associates in computer science at a local tech college, but quickly realized that for me, it was a huge waste of time. I don't need to learn to write a perfect essay, nor do I need to be bothered with an intro course to MS Office. But the biggest problem was that the programming courses didn't even mention game development. Sure, my C++ skills could stand a litte more honing, but not in the direction I was headed in at college. I want to develop games, not real estate applications.

If anyone is still reading this, what the hell is wrong with you? :) I am just trying to get a few thoughts down, mainly for my own benefit. But, as always, I welcome any comments or suggestions you feel might help me out a little. I promise I will consider any advice given.

Thanks
Mr. Tie Dye

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!