• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
NamelessTwo

Do you use .mdl or .md5 format in your projects?

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
If you are looking for a recommandation, I would say go with md5. The documentation about mdl is virtually nonexistant (or it was last time I checked), which makes the implementation quite difficult. There is a piece of code to export them, but the source is really unclear. The md5 format is also newer and better, from a graphics point of view, because you can have multiple bone weights per vertices, which you can't have with mdl (single, fixed weight for one bone binding per vertex).

Furthermore, John Carmack from Id software has said before that Id does not legally protect its legal format, which grants you the right to use them without hassle. On the other hand, Valve did not ever openly say that it granted anyone to use the Half-Life mdl format (which isn't the same as Quake 1's mdl format), so there might be a small legal risk involved in using it.

Quote:
Original post by NamelessTwo
Do you use Half-life .mdl or Doom 3 .md5 format in your projects or any other format from comercial products?

no

Just remember that ID's formats are open, but you need to use your own tools for them if using it outside of an ID game engine.

What about any other 3D game formats like Unreal Tournament?

Are there any Doom resources with downloadable models, because I cannot find any.

The big advantage you'll get with id's file formats (like .md5) is that they're made to be easily readable, open, and well documented. You'll be able to find a lot of resources online as to how to load the models. Wether or not you can find models to load... well that's a different ball of wax ^_^

The unreal formats, by contrast, are fairly obscure. While Epic hasn't specifically discouraged programmers from decoding their formats, they also haven't gone out of their way to help it much either. Therefore you'll be hard-pressed to find reliable resources when it comes to loading them. Of course, you'll also find a lot more models for the unreal formats!

So the question is really which you need more: Abundent documentation or lot's of ready-made test files.

I have used the md5 format, it's not too bad. But I recommend making your own. It's surprisingly quite fun. Most modelers have a way of adding exporters. It's really easy for blender, you just copy and modify one of the existing python scripts. I don't know python, but it hasn't stopped me yet!

Assuming you're not going to distribute these "stolen" models (just use them for testing), why not just extract them from the game? ID's resource files are now just zip archives so they're easy to get into.

First I prefer free models :) Second I don't have the game. Third I would create my own models at a later stage and my own file format but it won't be so soon :) I won't to see some moving triangles on the screen first.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!