• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Corman

What are your beefs with binding scripting langauges?

This topic is 4841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have my own personal feelings on this topic but want to get a feel and a good sample of peoples opinions on this topic. What are your problems, concerns, quarals, beefs, pains, etc. with scripting languages and binding compiled functions with that scripting language? This is not a post to hear what scripting langauge is better or what features one has over the other, I am trying to get answers on a general level. I am trying to see if there is a basic converging opinion on this subject. Thanks for any contributions to my research that you may provide. -Corman [Edited by - Corman on August 15, 2005 6:37:06 AM]

Advertisement
This might not be all that helpful, given the fact that I've never done this, or even seriously researched it.

I'm unfortunately the sort who's good a solving problems. 'Unfortunate?' you ask... Yes. It's unfortunate because I can see a solution fairly easily with the tools I have. Meaning I far too infrequently look for other tools which might work better. My usual thinking is that learning a new tool will take quite a bit of time and effort for something I'm not particularly sure will solve my problem better than what I have.

Scripting Binding is three times as bad. From what I know about C++, the only ways I can imagine [not having investigated how to do it] to bind the language in are tedious, and awkward. Learning the scripting language itself will be time and effort. And I don't know if the design I'm currently using will easily support being exported out nicely.

So I don't even look. Realistically, my current projects [puzzle game, and a turn based strategy game] wouldn't benefit as greatly from a scripting engine as would others.

Quote:
Original post by Telastyn
Learning the scripting language itself will be time and effort.

It took ~1hour for me to learn the basics of python and then even less for lua.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!