• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Deception666

Limit To The Number Of Simultaneous Key Presses

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if there was a limit to the number of simultaneous key presses you are allowed to have with DirectInput. For example, someone is pressing and holding the 'A', the 'S' and 'F' keys. Later on they wish to press the 'B' key, but for some reason the input system does not register the key press. If the user depresses the 'F' key, the 'B' key is allowed to be registered. Is this a problem with DirectInput and its implementation with the hardware, or is this more of a problem of the programmer not setting up the input system correctly? One theory is that maybe the input buffer is being filled up with 'A', 'S' and 'F' keys and there is no more room for the 'B' key. Thanks.

Advertisement
Hi there Deception666,

[The Problem]
The Limit of the number of keys pressed on a keyboard

[The Solution]
There isn't really a limit but this is a hardware limit.

"Keyboards are less than ideal when many keys are pressed at once, as the limited circuitry means that only a certain number of keys will register at one time. This number depends on where on the keyboard the keys are located."
For further reading

I hope this helps,
keep cool.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!