• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Douchekop

Unity What game engine to use?

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm designing a game, I will tell you what kind of game I want to build and what my background is. I hope you can help selecting a suitable game engine. The Game: The player can enter an online world (that's original :p). The game idea is around two principles: freedom and chatting. The user has a lot of freedom, it can hire a room in a hotel, or he can buy a house or the whole hotel. He can walk and drive around in several cities. One level can contain up to 5000 players. So 5000 residential places are needed in one level. (Not all users will be online at the same moment.) The user can chat with all other users and can meet users in bars, in-game games etc.. Me: I have programmed Visual basic for 5 years. I've programmed DirectX 8 with VB. I also used Dark Basic for 3 months, but that is a really bad product. That's 5 years ago I think. I can program C++ for two years now. I have programmed several small applications using C++ and mostly the Win32 API. I will be the main programmer of the game. Some friends will help as artist and as scripter. I need an engine for this game. Programming this from zero is more difficult and no fun. The engine needs to have the following: - Good network support. - Will have to render indoor and outdoor scenes. - Split the level in pieces, otherwise it won't fit in the user's memory. (will have to do it myself probably) - Nice graphics, GTA SA is a good example - Max 150USD - Community The possibility's: - Garagegames Torque: It can render outdoor and indoor scenes. The demo I've seen was pretty good. Network code! The problem is that I haven't seen any source code. It's a very complete package for 100USD. VC6 :) - Blitz3d: Can't I use my own environment? I think it's crap. nofi - Nebula Device: Free, i've seen some nice screenshots. VC.NET :( :( - Ogre: Demo seems nice, but doesn't run smoothly. A lot of nice projects build with Ogre. Free. As far as I can see, I will use Torque. Do you have any suggestions? Are there other possible engines around?

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Douchekop
- Nebula Device: Free, i've seen some nice screenshots. VC.NET :( :(

Not only VC .NET, Makefile projects and MacOS X are also supported.
But it's less an engine, more of a framework.

I don't have any experience with any of the products you mention. I just want to suggest going with a free engine (Ogre or Irrlicht) first. Try to make some simple games (or case studies for your big project) and get some experience with one of those. Once you have familiarized yourself with it, you can judge if it suites your purpose or not. I doubt anyone here can tell you which is most suited to your project.

Tom

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!