• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Mari_p

free engine - normal mapping

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Any engine that supports user-written shaders can support normal mapping, because the only requirements are accepting T and N normals and a normal map texture; the rest happens in the shader (and, of course, in the normal map generation tools).

Thanks friends! I was having a wrong idea about how the normal mapping was processed. I read some articles and I think I understand it better now...
So, could I say that the main limitation of a normal mapping shading is the amount of video memory?

well - it depends. the lighting result will be better the bigger the normalmap is - 512*512 seems like a minimum, but otherwise i'd say that normalmapping is more dependent on the gpu and the tools that'll generate good normalmaps

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!