Where should i start?

Started by
11 comments, last by dxFoo 18 years, 8 months ago
I was wondering I just got into game design(thats why im on this forum) and was wondering what free game engine should i start out with?
Advertisement
We'll we are not sure of your past experiences and knowledge, so you can take a look at the list of free engines at DevMaster. Just click on the 3D Engine tab at the top and look towards the right. The three main ones that I'd say you should look into is Irrlicht, Ogre, and Crystal Space.
Well i have no knowldge of game design at the moment.
If you want to be a game designer, focus on designing and expand your writing skills. Let the programmer work with the engine.
Well im just wanting to start out by makin side scrollers or somethin
Do you want to be a designer or a programmer? They're two different terms. Each one has their own area of study, so it's important to think that through.
Uhh... for right now its just me tryin to make some games. So both i guess
So it's programmer :) Have you ever programmed before? The answer factors in a lot to what responses you'll get.
You can create your own mods in games like Morrowind, etc., to add new content. I think this is all you're capable of doing if you want to do both. There's hardly any programming besides basic scripting. This is how I started, and later I wanted to learn how to build games from scratch.

Also, for future reference, get rid of the word "fun." Games are the most sophisticated software human-kind has ever accomplished. It is a science, a study of physics, logic, and artificial intelligence. Ontop of that is a design document that writes out these details too. So, know what you're getting into. It's not fun, but it's rewarding at the end.
But all i wanna know whats the best free sidescroller engine that i should use?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement