• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Rain Dog

Get/Set Properties.

This topic is 4832 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think it might be a good feature to register the return value of functions as properties to the Script writer. The script writer uses this: //script int myval = ScriptApi.MyVal; //in c++ int ScriptApi::MyVal() { return MyNum() + GetTickCount(); } It would be useful to allow this i think.

Advertisement
Is it going to be Getter/Setter property syntax C# style, or will getter/setter methods be treated like Java bean properties? Personally I am all for explicit syntax as in C#. I wonder what is the general consensus on this.

I shall shift the general concensus the other way, then. I think they are a waste of time.

I'm not familiar with neither the C# nor the Java beans way of doing it.

My idea is that the get/set property function would be transparent to the scripts. They would for example be used to allow the application to detect when a property is being changed.

C# property syntax is mostly syntactic sugar for getter/setter methods. The following link provides a decent explanation:

http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/Language/PropertiesInCSRVS.asp

In C#, a property of type Type called SomeProperty is defined as follows:

public static Type SomeProperty
{
get
{
// do some additional stuff here..
// ..
return this.someProperty;
}
set
{
// do some additional stuff here..
// ..
// and how about storing the given value? :)
this.someProperty = value; // value is a reserved keyword
}
}

Java bean properties are probably more in line with what you (Witchlord) have in mind). That is, if a class has methods of the form:
Type getSomeProperty()
and
void setSomeProperty(Type someProperty)

then a class instance, in the context of beans (components) is assumed to have a property (usually exposed in a visual tool) of type Type called SomeProperty. If no setter method is defined, the property is assumed read-only. Conversely, if only the setter method is defined, it is considered write-only.

The beauty of C# properties per se is they can be used conveniently as public class members but provide strict control as with getter/setter methods.

Having said all this, I understand that 'properties' in script will likely be mapped (or must be mappable) from a host application class (C++). Hence, the 'bean' approach really makes more sense since C++ has no notion of properties. On the other hand, it is still possible in theory to define a registration method for properties that accepts two function pointers: one for the getter and one for the setter.

[editted because link anchor didn't work]

The whole idea is to facilitate better data hiding and encapsulation.

A script writer does not really need to know that myObj.Count is really a function call.

Well, I haven't really consider how the properties would be declared in script classes. That is too far away. Right now I'm only thinking about how the application could register get/set functions to be used as properties in the script.

It will probably be like this:

engine->RegisterObjectPropertyGet("object", "int property", asMETHOD(Object,GetProp), asCALL_THISCALL);
engine->RegisterObjectPropertySet("object", "int property", asMETHOD(Object,SetProp), asCALL_THISCALL);

Both or either can be registered to set read/write access as desired.

The current way of registering properties will of course continue to exist as well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!