Draw lines over other OpenGL games?

Started by
20 comments, last by Necr0Potenc3 18 years, 8 months ago
Hey! I've got a simple little program that draws 2 lines in a window. What i want to happen is have those same 2 lines drawn ontop of whatever application is running, which must include fullscreen OpenGL games. Is it possible? If so, how? Thanks
Shakedown...
Advertisement
gluOrtho();glBegin(GL_LINES);  glVertex(A1);  glVertex(B1);  glVertex(A2);  glVertex(B2);glEnd();
or you are talking about to modify the rendering pipeline in other application??? In this case I think (and hope) it's not posssible!!!
What i want to do is just add 2 static lines on top of whatever else is running. I've got the lines created now, but they are contained inside a window, which I don't want. I want those 2 lines (not the window) to always be on top regardless of what is in focus. Possible?
Shakedown...
No, it's not possible. However, it IS possible to add new rendering to another OpenGL application, if that's what you're after. But that technique is usually used for hacking games, which I'm not going to help you do, so would you care to explain what this is for?
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Quote:Original post by blizzard999
or you are talking about to modify the rendering pipeline in other application??? In this case I think (and hope) it's not posssible!!!

Sure its possible. Just write a DLL wrapper.
Quote:Original post by krum

Sure its possible. Just write a DLL wrapper.

I dont know how many people are able to (re)write just a dll and avoid a system crash or simply insert new code in a transparent way for the other applications.
In theory nothing is impossible. In practice...

hey, i gota question that looks like it may have been answered allready, but here goes:

i need to be able to render lines over top of a mesh(render the joints) and have them just be on top of that mesh and not use glu, just the base GL.h lib...

this possible and if so how?
I dont know how many people are able to (re)write just a dll and avoid a system crash or simply insert new code in a transparent way for the other applications.
In theory nothing is impossible. In practice...

Well I'll tell you that there aren't many people that know how to do this, and it's not easy. But my point is that it's certainly not impossible and some people do this to write winsock, opengl, and d3d wrappers to to fancy things with games.
I think he means something like the FRAPS display. Regardless in fullscreen mode or windowed, it always shows the FPS counter.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement