• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
G2Koolio

The math of an RPG battle system.

This topic is 4843 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello Game Developers, I'm hoping this is the right forum to post this. I am working with a team of developers to create a series of games. (Although its all beginner and amateur at this point (have to start somewhere though)). I'm not actually a developer I'm merely the coordinator and initial financier of the projects. I've posted this in many various ways probably 30 times to different places in the past few days seeking an answer to no avail. All the programming is being done in PHP / MySQL (since this development is a web application). After overviewing numerous different RPGs that used a Side by Side Battle system (like many of your SNES RPGs of times past. Tales of Phantasia, Final Fantasy etc...) we decided that it would be best to use the same style. However, we wanted character development and growth to be a relatively big deal we decided to use a Stat Based system that would allow players to allocate their own points. The problem is that none of us actually know the calculations of an RPG battle system that is similar to Dice Rolling (I guess you would call it) on stats. I'm going to be as thorough and makes as much sense as possible so this could become a rather lengthy posts. --- The battle system is 1 Round turn based. Meaning... that all the rolls necessary for both actions will be done in the round system. Which means that the math of the battle system has to run twice. Start Round 1 For example: You attack, enemy dodges | Enemy attacks, you take 10 damage. End Round 1 What we envisioned was a 6 Stat and Substat system for the battles. We figured the Stat system would simply act a base value to increment the substats which would actually be used in the battle system. For example: Strength - Dexterity - Agility - Vitality - Intelligence - Luck = These would be the 6 stats each with a purpose in the battle system. Strength = Attack Power Dexterity = Hit Rate Agility = Evasiveness (this also measures initiative speed) Vitality = Defense (this also measures Hit Points) Intelligence = Magic Attack / Magic Defense (this also measures Mana) Luck = Critical Hit Rate So in our assumptions the battle would be very similar to the following. "Who attacks first" - Initiative Roll - Agility + Roll(D20) vs Agility + Roll(D20) -- We succumbed to the D&D D20 roll system since we don't really know any other system to base the roll after. The problem is that we don't know ENOUGH about Core D&D Rolls to determine how they affect the determining value of who attacks first. This is where we are thoroughly confused. How can all the stats work together to form the battle math so that a result in a balanced measure was achieved. "Attack - 1" Hit Rate = 47 + Roll(D20) vs. Evasiveness = 66 + Roll(D20) + Luck 17 + Roll(D20) Attack Power = 105 + Roll(D20) + Luck 12 + Roll(D20) vs Defense = 150 + Roll(D20) As you can see the SIMPLE math of it means that it would be impossible to hit someone with 47 + (lets say 6) = 53 again Evasiveness = 66 + (lets say 12) = 78. --- That basics are... we are thoroughly confused about this and would like some information that we could possibly study or look into that would make a balanced and working battle system based on the Stat system. Or if there are other equasions for RPG style battles that would be balanced and work. Thanks

Advertisement
I have a few recommendations, you could look into tabletop RPG systems like Dungeons and Dragons/GURPS, but using some of those rulesets requires licensing, but you could at least get ideas.. some of those have been around for decades and are known for being well balanced. Another option is to look into the methods used by popular RPGs out there, for instance you might want to check out this guide to the Final Fantasy III/VI algorithms. I'm sure other similar guides exist but that is sure to be a good resource to your developers.

I appreciate the information... I've just skimmed over the Final Fantasy faq and see if it has all the necessary informations to help us come up with something that will realistically work.

Some other options we explored left for a very boring type of battle system. We wanted a Roll system so we could at the least incorporate classes for the players to take.

The previous mockup battle system was very Paper / Rock / Scissors style in the essence that.

Fighter Class would overcome Archer / Archer would overcome Mage / Mage would overcome Fighter. Because of the system we had originally thought up. What we want to do is allow the player skill to be a factor of the battle system and how the end result turns out. Not just a matter of class and stats.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!