MSVC 2005 Express Beta 2 Error

Started by
10 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 8 months ago
Hey all, Just got to installing MSVC++ Express Beta 2 and I thought I installed the program as well as the platform SDK correctly but I'm getting an error: Project : error PRJ0003 : Error spawning 'cl.exe'. when I try to build a win32 application. This is coming right after I fixed a different problem when the compiler was having trouble finding windows.h. I have followed This explanation for setting up the platform SDK and I felt confident that everything was set up. Anybody else get this error or know how to fix it? Thanks, Jeff
Advertisement
When changing the VCProjectEngine.dll.express.config file, you probably set up the wrong path for the executable files. Perhaps you forgot to make sure the paths are separated by the semi-colon (;).
Kippesoep
Thanks for the reply. I keep changing around that config file trying to get it to work, but still no luck. How should the config file look? The site I linked to above tells you to change it, but doesn't show what the end product should be along the lines of.

EDIT: I'm getting the error because my Platform SDK's bin folder doesn't have a cl.exe. Is this normal or am I missing something?
Post the text here and I should be able to tell you what's wrong.
Kippesoep
			Include="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\include"			Library="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\lib"			Path="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\bin;C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin"			Reference="$(FrameworkDir)$(FrameworkVersion)"			Source="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\src"

When I add the bin folder from VS8 into the path like it is above, I get an error that the cl.exe is returning some large negative numbered error result.
Wow, seems like you've managed to remove most of the essential bits. Try the following instead:

Include="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\include;$(VCInstallDir)include;$(FrameworkSDKDir)include"Library="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\lib;$(VCInstallDir)lib;$(FrameworkSDKDir)lib;$(VSInstallDir);$(VSInstallDir)lib"Path="$(VCInstallDir)bin;$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\bin;$(VSInstallDir)Common7\Tools\bin;$(VSInstallDir)Common7\tools;$(VSInstallDir)Common7\ide;$(ProgramFiles)\HTML Help Workshop;$(FrameworkSDKDir)bin;$(FrameworkDir)$(FrameworkVersion);$(VSInstallDir);$(PATH)"Reference="$(FrameworkDir)$(FrameworkVersion)"Source="C:\Program Files\Microsoft Platform SDK\src;$(VCInstallDir)crt\src"

Don't forget to delete the %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\VCExpress\8.0\vccomponents.dat file after editing the config file.
Kippesoep
Thanks so much. That fixed the errors.
Now, when I'm creating Win32 (non-console) applications, I'm getting linking errors. I was under the impression that the compiler had already set the linker for a Win32 app, but apparently not. How do I go about doing this in MSVC++ 2005 Express Beta 2?
Please post the actual error message.
Kippesoep
thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DispatchMessageW@4 referenced in function _wWinMain@16thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__TranslateMessage@4 referenced in function _wWinMain@16thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__TranslateAcceleratorW@12 referenced in function _wWinMain@16thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__GetMessageW@16 referenced in function _wWinMain@16thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__LoadAcceleratorsW@8 referenced in function _wWinMain@16thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__LoadStringW@16 referenced in function _wWinMain@16thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__RegisterClassExW@4 referenced in function "unsigned short __cdecl MyRegisterClass(struct HINSTANCE__ *)" (?MyRegisterClass@@YAGPAUHINSTANCE__@@@Z)thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__LoadCursorW@8 referenced in function "unsigned short __cdecl MyRegisterClass(struct HINSTANCE__ *)" (?MyRegisterClass@@YAGPAUHINSTANCE__@@@Z)thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__LoadIconW@8 referenced in function "unsigned short __cdecl MyRegisterClass(struct HINSTANCE__ *)" (?MyRegisterClass@@YAGPAUHINSTANCE__@@@Z)thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__UpdateWindow@4 referenced in function "int __cdecl InitInstance(struct HINSTANCE__ *,int)" (?InitInstance@@YAHPAUHINSTANCE__@@H@Z)thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ShowWindow@8 referenced in function "int __cdecl InitInstance(struct HINSTANCE__ *,int)" (?InitInstance@@YAHPAUHINSTANCE__@@H@Z)thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__CreateWindowExW@48 referenced in function "int __cdecl InitInstance(struct HINSTANCE__ *,int)" (?InitInstance@@YAHPAUHINSTANCE__@@H@Z)thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__PostQuitMessage@4 referenced in function "long __stdcall WndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?WndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__EndPaint@8 referenced in function "long __stdcall WndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?WndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__BeginPaint@8 referenced in function "long __stdcall WndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?WndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DefWindowProcW@16 referenced in function "long __stdcall WndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?WndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DestroyWindow@4 referenced in function "long __stdcall WndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?WndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__DialogBoxParamW@20 referenced in function "long __stdcall WndProc(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?WndProc@@YGJPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)thisoneshouldwork.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__EndDialog@8 referenced in function "int __stdcall About(struct HWND__ *,unsigned int,unsigned int,long)" (?About@@YGHPAUHWND__@@IIJ@Z)

All unresolved externals...which means that there's something really simple that I'm missing or just don't know how to do in this IDE.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement