• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
xycsoscyx

Skinning Dialogs

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How do I use XP skins in my dialogs? I know there are many ways to do custom skinning of dialogs using bitmaps and rnedering over the dialog, then using regions to shape it as needed. I want to know how to use the standard windows XP skins on my dialogs? As it is, buttons and check boxes and etc are all win32 type controls, but I want them to be skinned as the current XP theme. Is it a simple matter of enabling or disabling things? Also, can it be done through Win32, without going through AFC or MFC? Thanks

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnwxp/html/xptheming.asp

in short, you have 2 choices:

create a file named appname.exe.manifest and stick that file where your appname.exe resides. put some xml in it that tells the os that you want the app's windows to be themed, and that's it. here's an example manifest i created for vc++ 6.0's ide:

msdev

the second way is to insert the manifest file directly into your win32 project as a binary resource. it needs to have a type of "24" and an id of 1. if you have an ide, you can do it through that. if not, insert the line "1 24 DISCARDABLE "manifest.bin" (without the quotes and assuming your manifest resource file is named manifest.bin) into your project's .rc file after the #includes.

Guest Anonymous Poster
hmmm, it appears that the site has eaten the xml. i'll try with the source tags this time:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
<assemblyIdentity
version="1.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="X86"
name="Desktop.Software.msdev"
type="win32"
/>
<description>msdev</description>
<dependency>
<dependentAssembly>
<assemblyIdentity
type="win32"
name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
version="6.0.0.0"
processorArchitecture="X86"
publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
language="*"
/>
</dependentAssembly>
</dependency>
</assembly>

Uwhaaaaa! Gracias! I knew about the manifest files before, but forgot that that's how to enable the XP skins. I didn't know you could include them as a binary resource though, sweetness.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!