• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Alexein

Game Lawyer?

This topic is 4829 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there such thing as a "Game Lawyer"? A lawyer that works in the gaming industry that handles tasks that are different from his corporate counterparts? Just wondering in the purely hypothetical situation that if i ever got into law school what should i study.

Advertisement
If i may ask, (and sorry for being a n00b), what does a game lawyer do thats different?

And if its not one thing, what combinations of things do they do that are different?

I'm guessing they deal with development contract details... Publisher company (henceforth referred to as PUBLISHER) wants Developer company (henceforth referred to as DEVELOPER) to make Some Game (henceforth referred to as GAME).

They probably deal with intellectual property rights... who has rights to the content, who has rights to the engine, etc. They probably have specific knowledge related to game development. How to determine if the developer really did meet a milestone or not if it becomes contested... all sorts of specific cases for this industry.

Many lawyers are specialized. Being a successful lawyer means knowing a lot of case law (and knowing how to apply it) - it's not even remotely possible for a single lawyer to know every law, code and precedent, even for one state. So you get lawyers that know and are experienced in applying the law to very specific areas. A game lawyer would likely be a combination of a hollywood and an IT lawyer - they need to be experienced in both creative and technical legal protections, along with a strong dose of copyright knowledge.

There are definitely different specializations for different areas of law. If you want to find a lawyer that will be more knowledgeable than a GP then you'd probably want to look into an intellectual property-type attorney (I don't know what they are called in Canada). As games are becoming more prevalent you will begin to find more attornies who deal with the different aspects of legal work for the gaming and software areas.

You could probably look in the phone book under attornies and see if you can find one who specializes in intellectual property, entertainment (though probably mostly music, film, etc.) or business (if you are interested in forming a company).

FindLaw is also a really great site to find a lawyer or do a little preliminary research on specific legal topics.

Hope this helps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!