problems with SDL_Blitsurface

Started by
2 comments, last by ........................................ 18 years, 8 months ago
I started to code something for my 2d engine (c++ + sdl + ogl) which would convert images so that they are height==width==2^x and i can use them as textures. i try to blit the loaded surface on a surface that has the right height and width and then convert it to a texture. so my code looks like this:

bige_texture &texture; //class which contains GLuint and size of the texture..

SDL_Surface *temp, *temptext;
	SDL_Rect src; 

if (temp = SDL_LoadBMP(filename))

{	
		texture.width = temp->w;
		texture.height = temp->h;

src.x=0;
		src.y=0;

int pow=1;
		for (; !((pow>=temp->w)&&(pow>=temp->h)); pow=pow*2)
		{}

src.w=temp->w;

src.h=temp->h;

cout << endl << pow << endl;
		temptext = SDL_CreateRGBSurface(SDL_SWSURFACE, pow, pow, 32, 0x000000ff, 0x0000ff00, 0x00ff0000, 0xff000000);
		SDL_BlitSurface(temp, &src, temptext, NULL);
		cout << "blitting worked" << endl;
		glGenTextures(1, &texture.img);                                                                     

glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture.img);                                                          

glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 3, temp->w, temp->h, 0, GL_BGR, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, temptext->pixels); 
		texture.size = pow;
		glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL_LINEAR);  

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER,GL_NEAREST);  

cout << "loading done;";

when i use this code it shows some flashy rgb lines but not what i actually want :( does someone know whats wrong, or should i post more code?
Advertisement
seems like noone can help, so im gonna ask different:

how can i blit a surface onto another (bigger) one which has a specific background color (i only need black and white)?
I think what you are missing is a simple SDL_FillRect on your temptext surface. After creating the surface the pixel data is uninitialized which explains the weird colored lines.
temptext = SDL_CreateRGBSurface(SDL_SWSURFACE, pow, pow, 32, 0x000000ff, 0x0000ff00, 0x00ff0000, 0xff000000);SDL_FillRect(temptext, 0, SDL_MapRGB(temptext->format, 0, 0, 0)); // black backgroundSDL_BlitSurface(temp, &src, temptext, NULL);
baumep
thanks baumep, thats also i also found out that i had to use GL_RGBA instead of GL_BGR.
but still i have a problem. the texture is now looking strange because for example if the sprite had a width of 63 pixels the first pixel of the second row is taken to fill up the the last one for the 64 pixels wide texture.

in the tested case pow is 64 and the sprite is smaller:

temptext = SDL_CreateRGBSurface(SDL_SWSURFACE, pow, pow, 32, 0x000000ff, 0x0000ff00, 0x00ff0000, 0xff000000);SDL_FillRect(temptext, 0, SDL_MapRGB(temptext->format, 0, 0, 0));SDL_BlitSurface(temp, &src, temptext, 0);glGenTextures(1, &texture.img);glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, texture.img); glTexImage2D(GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0, 3, temp->w, temp->h, 0, GL_RGBA, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, temptext->pixels);

EDIT: found the problem: should be "temptext->w, temptext->h" instead of "temp->w, temp->h" in last line :)

[Edited by - philipptr on August 16, 2005 6:44:48 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement