Quake3 vs Quake2

Started by
23 comments, last by Woodchuck 18 years, 7 months ago
I wanted to study the source code of Quake2, but these days I heard id Software is going to release Quake3's source code... So, should I start with Quake 3, or should I still go firstly with Quake 2 source code and then move to Quake 3 ?
We're doing this for a living, George. We are not amateurs.
Advertisement
no point with quake2.

Quake3 has superior net capabilities, and should basically be a cleaner and more up to date version of Quake2.

Quake2 has a software renderer, which could be interesting.

Everything is better with Metal.

Whenever ID software releases the next version of a game, the old source code is released. IE, Q4 is coming out thanks to the handy making of the DOOM 3 engine. (There the same company)
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
doom3 source should follow the same fate though. Which is good :)

Quote:Original post by oliii
doom3 source should follow the same fate though. Which is good :)

Maybe, if we are lucky, after some 7 years.
Quote:
Maybe, if we are lucky, after some 7 years.

In my opinion, it'll be a lot sooner.

After all, Quake 3 sold so, so many licences in its first year. [Although there may be one or two,] no one seems interested in licencing the Doom 3 engine, probably because they don't see what it's actually capable of. Maybe quake wars will change that, and we'll have to wait, but if the engine doesn't sell too well, id may even release it just after their next game. The reason that the Q3 source wasn't GPLed before christmas [or even earlier] was that another licencee had bought then engine, and it would be rude to open source it after they spent a small fortune on buying the source.

To the OP, I think that Quake 3 will probably be better, but you should probably take a look at the SDK before you look at the actual full source. I'd say that Quake 3 would have more 'modern' looking code [basically, nicer]. I can tell you that Quake 2 is just a magnificent mess.

--CJM
quake 4 is using the doom engine..... Also, Raven is developing with ID. So turns out were both right.
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
Hey,

Yeah, I know, but the ingame stuff that I've seen use lighting similar to doom 3, which is why people haven't tended to buy the engine yet - simply because they don't think that it can do bright-ish areas. Quake 4 has a couple of outdoor areas, and they look nice, but it doesn't show off the engine in a light that people will want to buy it. From what I've seen of quake wars, it's a much less dark game, and so people will probably notice that D3 is capable of doing outdoors well. But yeah, true.

Just my opinion though
CJM
I've looked at the Quake 2 source and there is a lot of stuff going on it in. I would say start with Quake 3. Either way, you're gonna have to do a lot of reading. There will also be tons of files to go through.
ennemy territory - Quake Wars was very impressive. Not the unreal3 engine yet (but that's completely mental anyway), but if my eyes and the PR hype isn't deceiving me, that was engine footage. And it appeared to do outdoor scenes. How tweaked from Doom3 is it, though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement