Calm sound?

Started by
2 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years, 8 months ago
Hey its me again. I'm not looking for work right now, have more pressing engagments. We will see the rise of me.:) Heres another track I made. Its more calm because of the surroundings. This guy in the game gets put in a prison for the insane. Its calm, as you can hear. Check it out here: http://www.geocities.com/colin_seymour/Meremoor.mp3 Thanks for your time. Noir*Spark.
Aaron*C*Adams:)
Advertisement
You've got some nice chords in there. Unfortunately, that is really all there is in this track. There isn't any sort of melody or even a real chord progression. That initial gripe aside, you need to watch your levels as well. There seems to be some clipping going on here. Basically, that means that at points, your instrument gets too loud for the computer to handle and it begins to distort. This can be fixed by lowering the main volume of the instrument before you render it. You can also use a volume envelope and lower the volume at the points where it begins to clip. Also, you should probably lengthen it up if its meant to be a backdrop for a scene in a game. Loops that short tend to get annoying really fast. I think you should go over this and try to flesh this out a little bit. I like the instrument voice, and I think the piece has potential. You've got some nice chords in there, and the whispers of a very basic progression. It just needs more structure.
Thanks, it was made quickly, but I am currently advancing this thing. I'll check back soon. Thank you for your time.
Aaron*C*Adams:)

Yea, I really don't detect any kind of 'formation' or 'direction' with the melody and there is no recognizable coherence in regards to the chord structure. The sample sounds pretty darn good though. For the next effort, maybe try something simpler with a distinguishable rhythmic pattern and try to develop that pattern.

For instance. Ever heard of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony?

DUDUDUDU...

DUDUDUDU...

Every subsequent musical phrase in that piece utilizes this motif and he develops it very well for over 30 minutes. My advice would be to find a good melody and try to develop it. Good luck. :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement