• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
eektor

I need help to get started

This topic is 4839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone I am interested in learning how to program games in my free time. I have very little experience in C++ and C. I took a class that involved some programming in these languages. Its been a while so I pretty much forgot everything. I am wondering what books and compiler I should get to get started. I already have Sam's teach yourself C++ in 21 days and another book on C ( I forgot the name). After reading the for beginner's section in this website I decided to get the Beginning C++ Game Programming and I downloaded Dev C++. I wanted to know is this a good start or should I get another book? or another compiler like Microsoft Visual C++.Net? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Check out the for begginers section in my sig at the bottom of this post.

ace

I'm sorry I guess I wasn't that clear in my previous message. I did read the for beginner's section of the website. I just want to know two things.

1) What's the difference between buying the Microsoft Visual C++.Net 2003 compiler or getting the free DevC++. Which one is better for beginners?

2) Before I spend money on a bunch of programming books I wanted to know the opinions of others. So far besides the Beginning C++ Game programming I was thinking of getting the Programming Windows Fifth Edition. (Will that help with XP because it just talks about earlier versions of the Window OS)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You can download MSVC++ 2005 Beta 2 for free from Microsoft to. Doesn't really matter what IDE you choose as long as you feel somewhat comfortable with it, personally I like the feel of MSVC++ better though.

As for books I would say start with a solid C++ book, depending on your level maybe Accelerated C++ could be a nice place to start.

And a plain windows programming book will be of little value if you want to create games since the amount of windows code you should be writing ranges from very little to none.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Visual Studio is definitly better than DevCpp. If you can't afford it, you may try Code::Blocks together with VisualC++ Toolkit 2003, which is superior to DevCpp.

I code with bloodshed, never had a problem. While coding may be new to you somewhat. Don't put money into a great IDE until you know atleast a year and a half worth of knoweledge. That can take as much as 5 months to know. Depending on your ability to grasp and understand the Language.

Second, understanding Data structures and Algorithms is the Key to C++. "OOP". I would suggest Algorithms in C++ by: Robert Sedgewick and Data structures and Algorithms in C++ by: Adam Drozdek. Also Begininng DIrectx9 by: Wendy Jones and Directx9 Prgrammable Graphics pipline by: Kris Grey would compliment your outfit. Amazon.com has these books that you can pickup for less than 40 $ easy all as one package. Use C++ in books as your search. I'm always buying C++ books there whether I need the book or not.

They make great references later on and great reading material that should keep your mind on C++ and not cluter your mind in C.

I should add, I started what I know now long ago for the fact that you had the same goals I wanted. I did a lot of researching to find out all I needed to know to make games. No college experience and just plain Amazon books and visiting here regularly and Now I'm on a team of Mods for the new Battlefield 2 game that came out from EA Games.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

I decided I'll skip the Windows Programming book and either add the C++ Primer (4th Edition) or The Complete C++ Training Course (4th Edition). Are any of them a solid C++ book?

Also after looking at the price of Microsoft Visual Studio, I think I'll go for the free ones. Does the MSVC++ 2005 Beta 2 have the same features or extra features than DevCpp? Oh and I'm not familiar with Code::Blocks would I have to change the compiler it uses to VisualC++ Toolkit 2003 or does it come with that already?

Thanks Zephir for the book titles. They sound complex for my level right now but I'm definitely putting them on my wish list so as I learn more about C++ I will get them later. That is really cool what you were able to accomplish and what you are working on now.

Thanks skatin for the tutorial site that looks like it would help me a lot.

I know this is for later on but I read that for making graphics for games people use either OpenGL or DirectX (correct me if I'm wrong). Later on would I need to get some software to use those or does DevCpp or the MSVC++ have those features in them?

DirectX and OpenGL are called API's. Todays games that are 3D are using them. But, when you first start with Graphics I recemond SDl. All you have to do is download them and some other stuff. I am still new to graphics but I am telling you what I know.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!