• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
OrcishCoder

Good Memory Debugging Tools

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all, As C/C++ programmer,I think I should able to check any memory overrun problem in my code manually. But when the code become 10k lines or above,it is really hard to avoid this kind of mistake,and hard to figure out too. So, is there any good and CHEAP (if FREE then better,because I am poor programmer) memory debugging tool? Ok. no Numega BoundChecker please, I know it is god tools but it has god price too ;) Thanks in advance. regards, Martin

Advertisement
If you're using MSVC then you can enable quite a bit of memory checking in the project properties tab, add proper use of crtdbg.h (MSDN can tell you more) and you'll catch quite a few things with very little effort.

I've found that a change in programming habits to more often utilize the often advocated [here] RAII, and the C++ Library nearly eliminate boundry problems. Even in large-ish projects.

That said, I know of no free-nifty checker.

If you're a linux developper you can use Valgrind and another tool which the name escape me, mmalloc or something like that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!