So you want to render a nature scene?

Started by
19 comments, last by busyme 18 years, 8 months ago
As posted on my site: I haven't put anything up for the show in several months, so let me make it up for you dear fellows with a demo that combines several effect rather than the usual one single room/shader. It's no farcry but it should look and run decent on your GF6800/7800 :) Use the aqwsed keys to navigate into the scene and drag your mouse on the screen to look around. Press H to toggle the GUI menu and F8 to capture a screenshot Grab it here
Advertisement

Sweet.
Astonished!!! Great work!
looking nice, though the grass doesnt work (verts all over the place) on my gffx (problem in the matrix in the vertexshader)
Nice grass but the star shape shows through when viewing from the top. In practice , when viewing from the top only a small region near the center of the screen has this problem. Could some horizontal quads with the grass texture or maybe rendering many slices (like fur) fix this? Has this been investigated?
And whether it was intentional or not, its nice to see the reflection of the bounding boxes in the water!
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Nice grass but the star shape shows through when viewing from the top. In practice , when viewing from the top only a small region near the center of the screen has this problem. Could some horizontal quads with the grass texture or maybe rendering many slices (like fur) fix this? Has this been investigated?

You know I've been thinking about a fix for a while and I think I have a partial solution; when viewed at a certain angle, the grass object will be replaced by a billboard with a texture atlas encoding different grass images. The right portion of the atlas will be selected depending on the viewing angle.
This technique has been used in one of our SDK example to render volumetric lines. .
I'll have to look into that a bit more :)

And whether it was intentional or not, its nice to see the reflection of the bounding boxes in the water!

I thought it was pretty neat therefore I left it there for your viewing pleasure [smile].
I was thinking about adding under water caustics, some algua and maybe few insects flying over the lake but then we thought it would be too much stuff at once :)
Quote:You know I've been thinking about a fix for a while and I think I have a partial solution; when viewed at a certain angle, the grass object will be replaced by a billboard with a texture atlas encoding different grass images

dont change the grass image, just add a slight billboard rotation on the x axis, ive done this before + it works ok

am i the only one where the grass is totally buggered, are there no gffx owners out there?
Pic?
JavaCool.. i can send you a pic via email.. i have a FX5700 at work..when i found the demo on NV's website and when i have the grass on.. the grass just comes at me.. like the grass is being exaggerated way too much or something, its just crazy, i am not sure exactly what the problem is.. anyone else having this problem?

hey anyway would you pm me java? thanks :)
heh

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement