• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GremlinX

Rendering Large Environments

This topic is 4841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am in the process of developing a racing game and I am very familiar with rendering objects using .X files, applying effects... most aspects that make a game, but the one thing I am still stuck on is rendering larger environments. Are there any good tutorials, example code or anything else that can help? I see lots of names being passed around like BSP, Portals, scenegraphs... etc, but I'm not sure how they fit together (if they do) or how to implement one. Also, for an outdoor environment like a racing game, do I need to use a different method than a FPS like Quake3? Thanks for any help you can provide

Advertisement
I also found this example: http://www.codesampler.com/dx9src/dx9src_10.htm#dx9_solidnode_bsp but in the description it says "For example, the BSP compiler in this sample demonstrates how early game programmers, who didn't have hardware accelerated z-buffers, used a simple solid-node style BSP tree...". Are there any code examples anywhere of the proper way to do this?

Thanks

I suggest that you use bsp8 (octree or loose-octree) for large enviroments, polygonal based culling isn't good choice for large envs. :)

What do you need is frustum (how objects are tested agains frustum, with sphere, cube, OOB) and octree. If I remember right Game Tutorials has octree tutorial.

Guest Anonymous Poster
now your asking for too much :)

hmm, don't remember any d3d tuts about octree, maybe it's because opengl is easier to use for tutorials. But the thing is that the octree isn't part of d3d or opengl, so read about it, learn from the opengl tutorial and convert it to d3d. "There is no such thing as a free lunch." :)

lol - ok. I'll have to try out one of those OpenGL samples... does anyone else know of any good Octree tutorials and how to properly implment them in DirectX?

I'm not looking for a free lunch, just an example of how to use a Octree with DirectX, my OpenGL skills are quite lacking and I seem to get lost reading the docs, I just need to see it in action. :-(

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!