• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
subzeroice14

pubilc play...

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, i'm new, and just regestered to GameDev.net. The main questions I have at the moment is how do I, or what are my options for allowing other people to play a game I have created on a website. I would like to know: 1) Is there any software other than Game Programming software that I need in order to make my game public? 2) Any hardware needed? 3) Is Blitz Basic compatable to make a game public? a. I have a Blitz Basic DEMO, do I need to buy one of the full versions of Blitz Basic in order to create a game, and let others play? 4) Is there any Hardware, or Software needed to make my game a MMO game? 5) If I do make a MMO game, or just a public game, would it be vunerable to hackers, viruses, worms, trojans, etc... a. If so what do I need, or need to do in order to keep my game safe? That's all the questions I have at the time being... I would REALLY perfer if you do have answers to these questions, that you would send them to my e-mail laramie_goode@yahoo.com Thank you

Advertisement
1) Is there any software other than Game Programming software that I need in order to make my game public?

Could your rephrase this? I think you are talking about .dll's and api's like directx, right? It depends on your platform.

2) Any hardware needed?

Probably a modem or something to get your game online. Most people have all the hardware.

3) Is Blitz Basic compatable to make a game public?

Check out blitz basic's page to find out.

a. I have a Blitz Basic DEMO, do I need to buy one of the full versions of Blitz Basic in order to create a game, and let others play?

Me thinks yes for legal reasons.

4) Is there any Hardware, or Software needed to make my game a MMO game?

Sorry, I dont know what a MMO is.

5) If I do make a MMO game, or just a public game, would it be vunerable to hackers, viruses, worms, trojans, etc...

Um...

a. If so what do I need, or need to do in order to keep my game safe?

A good server, good code, and the like.

1) Is there any software other than Game Programming software that I need in order to make my game public?

If you mean like how you need a compiler (and probably IDE), some graphics editors, sound equipment, etc, to make a game, then no, probably not. Unless, say, you were using something like the Steam engine, or unless you mean linked DLLs that you use in your project. Nothing the user needs to interact with directly, though.

2) Any hardware needed?

To release your game, access to the internet (if you're indy, which it sounds like you are). A computer. That's about it.

3) Is Blitz Basic compatable to make a game public?

I would think so - I've never used it, but they probably have examples of games made with it from their site.

a. I have a Blitz Basic DEMO, do I need to buy one of the full versions of Blitz Basic in order to create a game, and let others play?

Almost certainly. Not all languages require this though - just in case you haven't used any others. Check out Python, for starters (I think its free!).

4) Is there any Hardware, or Software needed to make my game a MMO game?

A server, both the software part and the hardware. Don't try this at first, unless you are really up for a challenge. Those three small letters have spelled the doom of many a game (and many a programmer who got frustrated and quit). Just look at some of the flames of old in the "help wanted" forum. Just think about it, mmkay ;)

5) If I do make a MMO game, or just a public game, would it be vunerable to hackers, viruses, worms, trojans, etc...

Yup. That's why you make the code secure, harden your servers, check incoming data from clients... Make it as difficult to hack/infect as humanly possible. You can't entirely remove the possibility, but I believe that bugs/macros/duping are bigger problems for most MMOs.

a. If so what do I need, or need to do in order to keep my game safe?

An excellent network programmer, hardened servers... the list goes on. You don't really want to worry about this aspect of making a game at first, do you? Wouldn't you rather just make a great-looking game of bust-a-move or breakout to show to your friend and family? I know I did. Its way more fun to have others enjoy what you have done than fiddling with the nitty-gritty coding jobs when you haven't done anything presentable yet.

Edit by Fruny: fixed formatting.

[Edited by - Fruny on August 17, 2005 7:00:08 PM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!