• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ViperG

Texture Sizes

This topic is 4840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm developing my own game, as some of you here already know, and I'm sorta torn on what to do with the size of my textures. I'm currently using 512x512 as my biggest texture, but im curious about going to 1024x1024 as my max texture size. The pros and cons are sorta obvious here, but I want to know your feedback. What is currently the standard max texture size in todays games? is it still 512 or has it increased with games like Battlefield 2, Doom 3 etc. What type of performance hits do you get when trying to render a full texture that size on the screen... etc... If you have any experience here I would enjoy your feedback on this issue of mine (and other people, naturally) Also I plan to make my game available for downloading... Which isn't a big deal because I can compress the files. Sorry if this post is in the wrong forum topic, this seemed like a best choice, because I think it's more of a technical/programming issue than a game design issue.

Advertisement
I'm rather naive about a lot of things, and via that naivete I've rendered quite a few massive textures [1600x1200 image loaded by a library]. I do have a beefy card [GeForce 6800GT], but I only notice really any trouble at load. Once in memory it is handled rather painlessly.

I know a few games provide multiple versions of their textures, and provide an option to use the bigger/better/shinier textures. Depending on how your game is setup, that option might be simple, or near impossible. Something to consider anyways.

Some older cards will not be able to load larger textures. You may want to have smaller ones as well for backup.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!