• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Don_Wuh

i want to make a simple game anything

This topic is 4840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

can any one help me i want to make a really simple game that i can learn how to make one and i wanted to know if any one could give me a tutorial or some help on what i need and what i have to do?????? id really apresiate any help i have a dev cpp compiler and thats about it i know very little cpp and c but hay i want to learn ty

Advertisement
1) Write the hello world game in which the user does nothing but just experiences the game printing hello world.

2) Write a game in which a die is thrown until the use says no I don't want to throw dice anymore.

No seriously. Learn programming first and come back because this will make no sense at all. Buy a C/C++ book and study it well. Good luck. Also have a look in the beginners area as there is a beginners page with lots of info.

Greetz,

Illco

Your first game should be text based. KISS (Keep It Simple & Stupid) it. Make a random number generator, and then the user should guess in a minimum try the good number. Like:

Guess the number between 0 and 100? You have 10 try!
> 50
It's lower. You have 9 try!
> 17
It's upper. You loose! Do you want to try again?

You might want to look into C# too. It's a bit easier to pick up than C(++) and it'll allow you to make some nice games to begin with. If you're really serious about developing games and want to give C# a go, go get yourself the following books (I assumed you'll want to make 3D games):

1. C# Unleashed by Joseph Mayo, ISBN 0-672-321220x

Indispensable to learn the C# language and it teaches you all the ins and outs of just about anything you can do with C#. This won't teach you how to program properly though, so you might want to pick up a book on object oriented design or you'll have to practice a lot.

2. Managed DirectX 9 Kickstart by Tom Miller, ISBN 0-672-32596-9

Explains the use of Managed DirectX from the basics to a low medium level. A great reference guide when using Managed DirectX. This book essentially teaches you how to use Managed DirectX for a number of situations you'll encounter when programming a game.

3. Beginning 3D game programming by Tom Miller, ISBN 0-672-32661-2

Teaches you how to use Managed DirectX to actually create games with the techniques described in the previous book. In this book, Tom demonstrates best pratices and explains some basic to medium concepts by creating three simple games.

Well, hope this helps. Bear in mind though that programming is quite difficult to learn all by yourself and that game programming is the most difficult discipline I've experienced so far. But don't let me stop you. Go download the Microsoft DirectX SDK and first try to learn from the samples. If you can get these to work with some modifications of your own, you'll know what awaits you and if game programming is for you.

Good luck!

Find an already made game with source code. Computer magazine used to have listings of games back in the good ole days, I'm sure the net is full of similar simple little games with well documented source code. Just take one that's simple enough and start tweaking it. It's a lot of fun to make changes in an already working game, and you learn a lot about how games work that way.

Also let me recommend the excellent 'For Beginners' FAQ, found in the truly splendid 'For Beginners' forum, whose name is by way of being a gentle hint. And, incidentally, if you want help, why are you writing as though people have time to decipher hieroglyphics just to figure out what you want? Why should we go to all that effort to figure out what you are trying to say? These are the Intarwebnets; how you write is how you come across. At the moment you are coming across like the kid from the special school, you know the one - with the speech impediment and a permanently runny nose that he never wipes.

Try an existing game engine (AGI/SCI/AGS are great beginner examples) or a game development language (like DarkBASIC). These may not be the most powerful ways of making games, but they'll give you an idea about how complex even a simple game engine can be, and what's involved in making a full game.

Also, someone recommended C#, so let the war begin. I'd recommend Java over C#, and here's two good reasons why:

Java 2 Game Programming by Thomas Petchel. Not the best game development book, but it comes with source code for an entire game engine in Java, and discusses basic fundamentals of programming in Java. A great start for someone with you level of knowledge (no offense intended).

Developing Games in Java by David Brackeen. The best game development book I've ever read, and I own half a dozen spanning a decade. You actually walk through the design of two full fledged (albeit simple) games, and David talks about multithreading, AI, 2D graphics, 3D graphics (you make your own FAST software 3D renderer in Java no less...great for educational benefits), game scripting, 3D object files...the list goes on. Moderately advanced though.

Go in a manner like this:

1. Learn basic syntax of language
2. Make hello world program
3. Make Guess the number
4. Make a bunch of other console programs
5. Read up on sdl, opengl, directx, or other library
6. Start programming with one of those
7. Make graphic game/app

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!