Sound only works after restarting sound system with YaST under SuSE

Started by
0 comments, last by Eleventy 18 years, 8 months ago
After installing SuSE 9.3, I realized that I had left my onboard sound card enabled in the BIOS. When I booted up Linux, it was using the onboard sound card as the default (other than my Sound Blaster Live). After deleting the entry for the onboard sound card and saving the config in YaST, every time I boot my computer, I get no sound at all. If I run KMix, it'll show the onboard sound card (which I deleted) and some unknown USB sound device (which I don't have). Now, if I go into the sound card hardware module under YaST, click the "Change..." button near the bottom of the window (those of you who have SuSE 9.3 will know what I'm talking about), I'll then be greeted with a message saying that the number of sound cards running doesn't match the number configured. It'll then restart the sound system and everything will work fine. KMix also shows the correct Sound Blaster Live sound card (with no others). However, I have to do this every time that I reboot the computer. I've tried restarting the sound system using the command line, but I believe YaST does something special for the sound system to be restarted "properly". Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Eleventy

Advertisement
Hmm.. well, I just found a solution. No idea why it works though.

It seems that lots of people are having the same problem, so here's the solution:

http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/lofiversion/index.php/t18129.html

Eleventy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement