• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Endar

Ideas for little things

This topic is 4841 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Right now, I don't think that I'm quite up for the committment of a complete engine, but I can do, and am actually feeling more motivated for small things. So, who has ideas about small things I could write that will go toward a complete, or at least partially working engine? So far: I've written a fairly well working message logging class, a 3d vector class, a class to hold a 4 part color, argb, and my own implementation of the stl list class (fairly basic compared to stl, but it works), complete with iterators. What else can I do?

Advertisement
next step is (IMHO) a matrix class that works with your vector class, matrix*matrix, matrix*vector, inversematrix etc

T2k

Good thought - a maths library is useful and will teach you lots. Although it isn't actually so useful. I'd try and think of little bits of re-usable code that aren't so commonly available in DirectX / STL. Little bits of game functionality like loading/saving a sound/image file or something.

I actually have a matrix class (was a while ago, so I forgot and left it out).

Quote:

Little bits of game functionality like loading/saving a sound/image file or something.

The problem with this is that there isn't much code I can write for loading or saving something to/from a file without knowing the specifics of what I'll be doing (in a larger, know how I'm going to structure the engine sense), which isn't small.

Edit:: I have also written a wrapper class for file input.

[Edited by - Endar on August 17, 2005 7:49:56 PM]

Quote:
Original post by Endar
The problem with this is that there isn't much code I can write for loading or saving something to/from a file without knowing the specifics of what I'll be doing (in a larger, know how I'm going to structure the engine sense), which isn't small.

I'd have to suggest serialization. It pretty much saves the binary data of the class straight to the harddisk so it's fast at saving and loading the data.

Quote:
Original post by Rob Loach
Quote:
Original post by Endar

I'd have to suggest serialization. It pretty much saves the binary data of the class straight to the harddisk so it's fast at saving and loading the data.

Also, on this note, it may be worth learning an allready existing serialization library such Boost.Serialization - they can do a lot of complex stuff, such as saving dynamicly allocated items which have no clear owner, and then restoring it, complete with correct pointers and all.

How about a wrapper for Direct3D/Draw/Sound/Music/Show... the graphics ones you can find anywhere but it's perhaps more useful to you. Sound and music are much less common which makes your code more worthwhile. For a larger engine, things like a renderstate manager, texture/sound/general resource manager are very useful, or a library to get text on-screen easily. Or a custom GUI to use in your future projects...

Make a "simple" game at the same as you are making the engine. Making tetris, a simple car game or something like lander allows you to write a basic engine and test it's features along the way.
My current game with my engine is a simple car game nowere near a finalized version. Basicly it is a mesh(currently a cube) that is loaded from a file(obj) and is beeing rotated with quaternions with a texture applied(by code). However a lot more goes on under the hood(No contact with the rendering api(OpenGL that is) in the application code as an example) ;).

Make two (or even three (but for that I would be too lazy[grin])) very simple games (you know, tetris and company).
After that, think what techniques, patterns you've been using the most. Then write yet another game, trying to use classes wrapping those common things (reusable pieces of code would be nice).

In my experience, writing "useful stuff" ahead often leads to YAGNI, and thus, can irritiate later on, that most of the stuff from "the EngineTM" was written for nothing.

Oh, and most of the general stuff (like math, I/O) was already wrote by someone, so always check before going into that on your own.

Cheers.
~def

Quote:
Original post by Rob Loach

I'd second that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!