• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
LonelyStar

fbo tutorial

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How everybody! I am looking for some resource telling me how to: a) Detect if framebuffer-objects are supported. b) Initilize and use the fbo. I have googled but have not found anything usefull enough :( Thanks and sorry if I am to stupid to find it myself. Nathan

Advertisement
seems the right thread for my post...

i looked into the framebuffer already, and realized very soon that it's only a nvidia extension, so now my question can i use pbuffer for the same result and if yes is there any *hard* difference, like pbuffer is much slower...

greets
tgar

Quote:
Original post by Thaligar
... and realized very soon that it's only a nvidia extension...

errm, what?
ATI have had this extension in their drivers for the last month now...

Thanks for the reply.
Open questions I have so far:

- How do I check if the framebuffer-object extension is supported and do I have to somehow bind those *EXT functions?

- What I want to do is: For creating 2D-dynamic-light effects, I render my scene to a framebuffer object, and than render the image (multiply times with my light effects) to the back buffer. For that I would need a screen-size texture. But now, my screen is i.E. 1280x1024 (or something) which means I need a 2048x1024 (almost double in size) texture. I have read about renderbuffers (and did not completly understand what their purpose is) and was wondering, if there is some way to render color to some object which does not need to be screensized and can be copied to the backbuffer? I just do not like the Idea of wasting
768*1024*3 bytes of video memory.
Thanks!
Nathan

Quote:
Original post by phantom
Quote:
... and realized very soon that it's only a nvidia extension...

errm, what?
ATI have had this extension in their drivers for the last month now...

yes that's true sorry my fault, i meant the time when my gfx card was released (radeon mobility 9700), and no newer driver support this feature on this gfx,

so is it possible to simulate the framebuffer with the pbuffer??

greets
tgar

Quote:
so is it possible to simulate the framebuffer with the pbuffer??

if you mean simulate FBOs, not quite, FBOS have a more you can do with them, such as shareing depth buffers, and are a lot easier to use in comparison, cause you dont have to use platform specific functions and no more context switching...

if your talkin about simulatieing a frame buffer (not object), then thats pretty much what a pbuffer is, Pbuffers are basically like createing your own invisible window(Invisible frame buffer) to render to, and then you can use it as a texture.

another question about fbos,

today i found on www.delphi3d.net (nice page) that the nv ti4200 also support the fbos, so do i only need the newest drivers that my gfx(mob. radeon 9700) support this but i have already catalyst 5.6, do i need c5.7 ??

thx in advance,
greets
tgar

Quote:
another question about fbos,

today i found on www.delphi3d.net (nice page) that the nv ti4200 also support the fbos, so do i only need the newest drivers that my gfx(mob. radeon 9700) support this but i have already catalyst 5.6, do i need c5.7 ??

thx in advance,
greets
tgar
FBO support on ATI cards started with Cat5.7. But since Cat5.8 is out now you might as well get that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!