• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Tesl

DirectInput8Create() Failing?

This topic is 4842 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This is probably one of the most simplist mistakes youv ever seen, but another set of eyes often helps! Everything is compiling fine, but i was getting exceptions when accessing null pointers. I traced it back to realise that the DirectInput object was not being successfully created, this is the function:
InputDevice::InputDevice(HINSTANCE hinst, HWND hWnd)
{
	lpdi = NULL;
	this->hWnd = hWnd;

if (FAILED(DirectInput8Create(hinst, DIRECTINPUT_VERSION,
			IID_IDirectInput8,(void**)&lpdi, NULL)))
	{
		lpdi = NULL;
		MessageBox(hWnd, "DirectInput unavailable!", NULL, NULL);
	}
}
Where lpdi is earlier declared as a LPDIRECTINPUT8. I took the HRESULT and stuck it into the Error lookup, and was then given: HRESULT: 0x80070057 (2147942487) Name: E_INVALIDARG Description: An invalid parameter was passed to the returning function Severity code: Failed Facility Code: FACILITY_WIN32 (7) Error Code: 0x0057 (87) But, i really cant see anything wrong with that? Iv linked in the libraries dxguid.lib and dinput8.lib, and have included <dinput.h>. From what i can see iv done everything, and see no reason why DirectInput could be unavailable? (I even updated everything through windowsupdate to check!) Has anyone ever had any problems like this before? Its possible iv made a verrrrrry simple mistake though that im just not seeing.... Thanks!

Advertisement
Here's my code to init Dx :

if FAILED(DirectInput8Create(GetModuleHandle(NULL),
DIRECTINPUT_VERSION,
IID_IDirectInput8,
(void**)&DInput,
NULL))
{
DebugManager->Print(Error, __FUNCTION__, "Unable to initialize DirectInput 8 !");
return false;
}

Check values of your hinst and hWnd, maybe they are wrong...
Try to replace DIRECTINPUT_VERSION by 0x0800

EDIT - found the problem now, you were right and my values for hinst and hWnd were incorrect. Thanks a lot :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!