• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
UnknownStranger

Anyone know any books for DirectX for C#

This topic is 4840 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

It seems all the books are for C++. My C# program is a windowed program that I'm planning has windows GUI buttons,labels etc. I want to have a split screen somewhere in the gui that will play image files(jpg or whatever) and at certain times throughout the program,the split screen will replace that image with another one depending on what the user clicks. I also want another splitscreen showing 2D graphics created in photoshop that will have simple animation like moving chess pieces from one square to another. I also want music and sound effects to be played depending on what the user does. Is this possible in C#? or will DirectX using C# be more easier? Can anyone show me any good books or websites that will teach me how to do this? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Really I don't think there's any need to spend the money on a book. drunkenhyena has good free C# D3D tutorials and hopefully you could pick up anything else you need from other pages (like MSDN).

Hi there UnknownStranger,

Try looking at the books from Tom Miller.
such as Managed DirectX9 Kick Start: Graphics and Game Programming

Hope this helps. Take care bud.

Did you guys even read what he is asking for?

Hey UnknownStranger, if your goal is to make a simple 2D program with static animations (like chess) Tom Miller's books might not be what you really need. First, it's about 3D stuff. Second, I have read "Managed DirectX9 Kick Start" and I don't really recommend it if you have never worked with Direct3D before. I found the author's explanations to be weak. Heck, I spent more time searching on the internet than reading the book. This book is good only if you programmed in C++/DX before and feeling like jumping to C#/MDX. I haven't read the books that SiCrane proposed but they seem to have one thing in common--2D programming. Also, before buying a book you might want to check at your local library to see if they have it (you'd be surprise!).

Moreover, check this site, it's a tutorial on DirectDraw and C#. It doesn't cover all your needs, but it should give you a good start.

Darkneon

The Kick Start book (in my opinion) is not very good at all. It shows you very quickly how to paste together code bits to get things running but is very sparse on explanations for any of it.

How about the book "Introduction to 3D Game Programming using DirectX 9.0" - Frank Luna ?

I'm also looking for a good C# book similar to "The C++ Programming Language" - Bjarne Stroustrup. No game programming related C#, just C#.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!