• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
burnettryan

Physics Engine Comparison

This topic is 4818 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Does anyone know where i can find a comparison of physics engines that are currently available? (commerical and open source). I am looking to integrate a physics engine into my 3d renderer and have been doing some research by visiting the various websites but it is difficult to tell what are the physic engine's advantages/disadvantages. I am looking for a product matrix type website that list the features, supported platforms, etc. Or if anybody has any advice on how to start to evaluate the physics engines. Thanks in advance Ry

Advertisement
You might check out Monster's "Gangsta" physics wrapper for Ogre. It simulataneously supports 3 or 4 physics engines so you can set up the same environment and see how they process it side by side. Very cool.

You can find it on the Ogre forums

Ganstad wrapper is very nice idea in a very early stage.
The only problem is that the owner refuses to add any functionality that is not supported by ODE.
So as it stand now it can only be used to benchmark ODE speed again other engines.
Common features supported by almost all engines like convex hull collisions, real cylinders, continue collision, arbitrary joints configurations, triggers, engine stability, and some more exotics ones are impossible to measure.

I am hosting a physics forum and also a physics engine, called Bullet.
http://www.continuousphysics.com/Bullet/

You might find a bit of information there, but no comparison yet. Perhaps later.

Erwin

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!