• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ronamitri

Real? Or not...

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
There is no reason most of those shots would not be rendered on the Xbox 360.

-Mezz

Seems real to me..
The environment is quite low poly but with very good and high detail textures.
They also seem to have some prerendered ambient occlusion / lightmaps.
The cars and characters seems to be misplaced, they simple doesn't shade and look as good as the environment IMHO.
The reflections on the cars seems to be quite ok, but it's probably just an environmap rendered from the center of the N closest objects or so..

Just my 2c..

Edit:
Feels a bit like Roger Rabbit :) Cartoon figures in a real world scene...

Most of the stuff in that scene is relatively easy to render. The buildings, signs, lampposts, etc are just flat textures, and all you need to do to make those look good is have high resolution pictures. The cars are less easy (and they did an incredible job with the cars), but still manageable. Gran Turismo already does a pretty awesome job rendering cars on the PS2.

It would be interesting to see how well they do on stuff that is more difficult to render. Faces, trees, water, shadows, scenes with more than one light source, etc.

I think the thing that most floors people is the environment mapping job done on the cars (even if all of them DO look freshly washed and waxed). Take that off and suddenly the game would look pretty bland.

But yeah, it's definitely possible to do on modern hardware, we just typically don't because most programmers are targeting 1 to 2 year old hardware as a baseline spec.

Btw, something I just noticed: Is it me or are they not doing a Fresnel effect on the reflections?

Quote:
Original post by Cypher19
I think the thing that most floors people is the environment mapping job done on the cars (even if all of them DO look freshly washed and waxed). Take that off and suddenly the game would look pretty bland.

The screenshots don't look real to me, mostly because of the EM. What technique do you recon they're using? Those EMs look extremly high-res.

With all those high res textures and EMs and shadows on EVERY object, add all the geometry, I wonder how they put it all in 256 Mb of Graphic RAM (as far as I know that's what XBox360 PS3 have). You can't compress EM-s.

The good point is I don't think I saw any nature(apart for the people) in the screenshots. The engine might have problems coping with too much variety in the scene.

A cubemap doesn't take up a lot of memory, e.g. 512x512x6x4 bytes, so having one of those for cars in a simple scene like the ones in the screenshots would be very practical to do. If you look at a lot of the textures actually, most aren't ultra-hi-res, and are, at best, capping out at 512x512 from what I can tell.

The big killer for a long time with cubemaps was always the extra pixel and geometry power needed (which the X360 provides a more than ample amount of) not the memory size.

These cubemaps are not 512x512. I know how 512x512 cubemaps look like. They are distorted and pixelated, what I can't see on that screenshots. And textures on the buildings are definitly not 512x512.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!