• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Scavenger23

Blender and Irrlicht file types

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Out of all the file types that Blender can export and Irrlicht can import, which keeps the most data? Blender can't export it's models to .3ds or .md2 (without losing data). I would like to use one of those two, but I can't find a converter or an exporter. [Edited by - Scavenger23 on August 17, 2005 2:24:15 PM]

Advertisement
I'm sure there's python scripts for blender that export to MD2 so go grab one of those, if it doesn't work how you'd like it to, modify it. If you can't find any just write one yourself, it's pretty simple.

Python's pretty simple and you won't need to know much to make or modify an exporter so just go read the intro python docs and modify the exporter so it works how you want.

Ok, I'll try that. One thing though, how do I view the structure of the data in a .3ds, or better yet, a document on the stucture setup?

in the irrlicht sdk there is a folder called exporters and Blender.x inside of that
grab the file DirectXExporterMod.py
( and read the readme )

put DirectXExporterMod.py into the folder scripts in your blender folder
remove any other script that has driecrx in the name and move them( or zip them, this avoids some confusion)

and just export the script from blender into x format

from what i have read the x format works just as well as the 3ds

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!