• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kaewa

game server

This topic is 4810 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok here it goes i have a game server--not my own game buy anyways i was thinking i dont want to release my server to others with them taking credit so i don't really know how to say it but would this be a possible project to program...i hardcode an ip in the c++ server part of the game and make a program on my side that when i open it like every 10 seconds will it check if anybytes were sent to my ip address and if there is i can change stuff....dont know if its possible if it is i will work on and then every can help me lol XD

Advertisement
First off, punctuation is your friend. Get in touch with him again, and he'll help you out in more ways than one. ;)

Secondly, if it's not your game server, what do you care if someone else takes credit? It's not yours! <LOL>

Anyway, what you're talking about could theoretically work. However, there are some basic programming no-nos with that. 1) Hardcoding anything involving possible latency and unreliability WITH a time frame is generally not good. And the internet is the most latent, unreliable thing I can think of...short of Windows jokes. 2) IPs are generally not to be trusted and used outright. That's why DNS was invented. Take this example: two computers are hooked up to the internet. Both are trying to communicate to your server, say at 205.193.11.34. One of them is hooked almost directly into the internet (broadband connection), and has no problem. Another is on a massively complex intranetwork, where they have bridges and routers directing traffic. The second computer has a neighbor at 205.193.11.34. Which computer will he connect to? Probably the local computer, and not your server. Had you used and resolved a...crap, what's it called? Text based web address, like www.mygameserver.com, the bridges and routers would've been able to pipe the correct data to and from your server, even though to that computer, your IP could be 63.177.212.97.

So...I would seriously recommend using predefined methods of connecting, and instead, just encoded your data in some manner that's not published.

I should have explain better. I'm not releasing the sources but my computer is using bridges =). I can code it myself just looking for advince on tips how it should be done. Im only hardcoding the ip address. Like one that will re-route to my ip address. Im letting a friend host but I still want control of the server,hence gamemasters i want to know if it would be possible to send bytes to a program which i will make and it will tell me the ip its running, and from that i will send a byte to the server which will write over any of the files on the server i want to like say i read a byte saying there is a monster on map tile x:123 y:352 i can delete that with the tough of my button from my house in florida and his house in where ever. does that make more sense.

=)

Added: and i dont want them to change the ip address of mine,so i can't do anything maybe a .dat file or something that needs to be there or the server wont run =) idea idea XD

That puncuation line is great.... I just added it to a text file of good quotes. :P

And I think what Nychold is trying to say is that it doesn't matter whether your computer is using bridges.... By hard-coding that value in, you'll be causing more potential problems on the client's network than on your own. Also, simply putting the IP in a .dat file doesn't discourage the more knowledgeable clients from modifying that data. A simple hex editor can expose things like that quite easily.

Okay, this is what I'm getting you need help with. You need a program which will intercept TCP/IP requests to your game server, route it to your machine to be deciphered, and send it off to the server, and also allow you to change the game at a moment's notice. Or maybe just the latter.

At least, that's what I got from your e-vomit, so please, if that's not what you need, try to be less lazy or in a rush, and try to write clearly. It makes it very difficult for people who could help you to actually help you. (And in some cases, be willing to help you.)

Only the latter is really feesible. (The first is feesible too, but you'd have to make modifications to the existing server, including what port it's requesting, and it can be a mess.) If the game server allows you to log in as a gamemaster and make modifications, then you're done. Just write a client program for it. If not, you need to write two programs. One which must be on the server and be run while the game server is running, which can hack the system memory for the game. This isn't always possible (like on some Linux/UNIX flavors), but is possible on all flavors of Windows. This program must respond to TCP/IP requests, so you must be able to create a new server socket (which means have another TCP/IP port allocated for you.) Then, the client side application which handles your one touch features, like removing creatures, and blah.

Again, all of this is moot if it's not what you're really after. Sorry I can't help more.

I was in a rush for school sorry. I wanted to see if I had gotten replys when I got home. Anyhow I need to make a new program to intercept tcp/ip because all the files will be on there computer not mine. if I make a gm they can delete the gm since its using xml files to save it in a folder called players and accounts. if this makes any more sense I need it in the coding. Just wondering if its possible =) I mean.

~~think we got off to bad start now everyone thinkgs i'm a noob~~

Frankly, because you can't even explain in plain English what you want to do. How do you hope to write that same thing out in code?

Plus the different areas you seem to be hinting at [deconstructing network communication, and protecting files on a local machine from local admin/root compromise] are [relatively] terribly difficult and practically impossible.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!