Switch render target

Started by
4 comments, last by circlesoft 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi. A beautiful evening we have. And I'm digging into shaders more and more. So I want to switch render target to a texture('s surface level 0). Then render, as usuall, and then switch back, and use the texture in the later passes. So I first: - get the original target, and acquire its decription, - create a texture with same parameters (width, height, format, pool) and usage RENDERTARGET, Then, before rendering I: - call SetRenderTarget(0, pSurface), got S_OK, - call Clear(..., D3DCLEAR_TARGET|D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER, ...) and BAM! "MultiSampleType between DepthStencil Buffer and RenderTarget must match." So I checked. The device has: d3dpp.MultiSampleType = D3DMULTISAMPLE_NONMASKABLE; d3dpp.MultiSampleQuality = 2; Which seems to be ok. Now, I read the F.Manual and there's only an example using CreateRenderTarget, where they tell me to set proper multisample type. But with creating a render-target-texture, there's no such option. So 2 (exclusive) questions: 1.) Can I set the Multisample type when creating the texture? Or should I simply change the resolution, or some other tricky thing? 2.) Can I use CreateRenderTarget and somehow transform it to a texture for later use? Thanks. ~def
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by deffer
So I want to switch render target to a texture('s surface level 0). Then render, as usuall, and then switch back, and use the texture in the later passes.

2.) Can I use CreateRenderTarget and somehow transform it to a texture for later

If you want to use a RT later as a texture, you have to create a texture interface, not a surface. So instead of CreateRenderTarget(), you must use CreateTexture(), with D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET.

To get your surface for the SetRenderTarget(), just use IDirect3DTexture9::GetSurfaceLevel( 0 ) - this will give you a surface on the texture. After rendering, you can then turn around and use this texture in a ID3DXEffect::SetTexture() call.

By the way, when you call GetSurfaceLevel(), the reference count on the surface it returns is increased. This means you should release it.

Also, since you have to create a texture now, you can't do multisampling.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Quote:Original post by circlesoft
If you want to use a RT later as a texture, you have to create a texture interface, not a surface. So instead of CreateRenderTarget(), you must use CreateTexture(), with D3DUSAGE_RENDERTARGET.

To get your surface for the SetRenderTarget(), just use IDirect3DTexture9::GetSurfaceLevel( 0 ) - this will give you a surface on the texture. After rendering, you can then turn around and use this texture in a ID3DXEffect::SetTexture() call.

That's exactly what I'm doing now, so no prob here. Don't want to be picky, but I already told that [grin]

Quote:
Also, since you have to create a texture now, you can't do multisampling.

Do you mean, that I cannot do multisampling at all? Or do I have to somehow switch it off during rendering?
~def
Ah, sorry. Apparently I have lost my reading ability [crying]

First, try changing your multisample to D3DMULTISAMPLE_NONE and quality to 0. It should work then.

I suppose your are getting that error because the depth buffer and active RT must match. However, since you can't create a multisampled texture, you can't match a depth stencil that is multisampled.

The solution would be to create a matching depth stencil surface for use with your texture rendertarget, using CreateDepthStencilSurface(). Then, just use SetDepthStencilSurface(). This way, you can keep your backbuffer multisampled and still use RTs.
Well, that's not the answer I was looking forward to get [depressed]

Yes, it works *great* with no multisampling...
If it won't work any other way, so be it (* Multisampling->Off() *)

Thanks for your effort (in all my RT threads).
~def
Quote:Original post by deffer
Well, that's not the answer I was looking forward to get [depressed]

Yes, it works *great* with no multisampling...
If it won't work any other way, so be it (* Multisampling->Off() *)

Thanks for your effort (in all my RT threads).
~def

Did you try creating the separate depth buffer for the RT? This would allow you to keep multisampling on for the backbuffer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement