• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Four

Blender 3D-Moving vertecies only in 2D

This topic is 4838 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm new to 3D modelling :) Is it possible in Blender to move vertecies only so X/Y changes but not Z or any combination like Y/Z or to just change X/Y/Z individually? Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Alright, to move along X/Y/Z independantly you want to select whatever it is you want to move. Then you need to press g, so that your moving them around, then press the X, Y, or Z key, this will make it so you move along just one axis.

Thanks very much!

One more queston. I have a bunch of vertecies selected, I want to snap them so they all are on the same X coordinate. How may I do that? Y and Z to.

Thanks in advance

I don't know anyway to quickly do that, sorry, but a slower way to do it would be to select a vertice and press N, you can change around these coordinates.
For example:

\###
#\##
##\#

I have this line over there, it's composed of two vertices, one at each end
I want to move the top vertice so that it is straight in line with the
bottom. The top vertice has an X coordinate of -0.0, the bottom vertice has

an X coordinate of 1.0, so I change the top vertice's X value to 1.0 and my line becomes like this
|
|
|

Sorry that I couldn't find anything quicker, I'm not saying that their isn't a way to do this quickly, just that I don't know the way. Oh and I apologize for my crude ASCII art.[wink]

Thanks again! I got a bunch of vertecies very close together like that. I pressed w then "Remove Doubles" some vertecies are close together is it possible to make those vertecies to be "one" and to remove the doubles.

Thanks in advance!

Alright, select a group of vertices that are really close together, then scale them together using S, so that they look like one vertice. Then remove doubles.

That doesn't work perfectly, after using mesh->vertex->smooth you can see "holes".

Here's some answers to your questions:

1. Moving while constraining along axes. Try getting Blender 2.37 if you don't have it. You can use the transform widgets to move along a single axis x, y or z by dragging the colored arrows. You can show the widgets by hitting ctrl-space. Alternately you can do as mentioned above (especially if you have 2.35 or 2.36). Hit the GKEY to start your move, then hit x, y, or z to constrain your movement along global axes. hit x, y, or z again to constrain along local axes, which is not as obvious.
2. To move in a plane, such as being able to move in x and y, but not z, just choose one of the orthogonal views, such as front or side. Then move the vertex by either hitting the GKEY or using the widget and dragging inside the white circle and moving it around.
3. To align a series of vertices along an axis do this. Select them all. Hit the SKEY (for scale) the hit either x, y, or z, depending on your axis of choice, then hit the 0KEY and the ENTER.
4. To merge a bunch of vertices together do this. Select your vertices. Hit alt-M, then choose one of the menu items -- at center is the easiest for beginners. Now you have one vertex.

Good luck.

Check out my tuts at the following location for more little tips:

http://www.lowpolycoop.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=9

Scott

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!