• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kest

3DSMax Character Studio - Copying

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think I've about driven the support team to madness with questions, so I'm hoping someone in here might be able to help me out. This is an animator question, so don't feel pressured to figure it out for me. Within the Character Studio command panel, there's a command group titled "Copy/Paste". Inside are tools that allow you to copy specific bones and paste them at different frames or even different bipeds or scenes. The problem I'm having is that it seems entirely useless when trying to copy or paste biped props. These are the same props you add to the biped during construction. Is this just not possible? If not, are there any other ways to copy orientation and position of objects within Max that are not biped bones? What about normal Max bones or even simple objects? My only alternative is to save and load entire biped files and mix them together with the mixer. It's a lot of work to get around such a simple lacking feature. I'm sure I'm just missing something. I would really appreciate any help with this.

Advertisement
i whipped this up in a few minutes:

macroScript CopyPaste category:"CopyPaste" 
(

global saved_transform
rollout copy_pasteRollout "Copy and Paste" width:159 height:47
(

button btn1 "Copy" pos:[8,8] width:72 height:32
button btn2 "Paste" pos:[83,8] width:72 height:32

on btn1 pressed do
if selection[1] != undefined do saved_transform = selection[1].transform
on btn2 pressed do
if selection[1] != undefined do selection[1].transform = saved_transform
)
createDialog copy_pasteRollout 159 47
)

put that in a file called "copypaste.ms" in your max/scripts/startup folder.

To use it, you can use Customize... to drag the script from the category "CopyPaste" to a toolbar, a menu, a quad menu or to assign to a keyboard shortcut.

That should do something close to what you want, tweak the maxscript a little more to make it do exactly what you want. for biped props you might have to take into account parent transforms... the maxscript documentation that comes with max should be sufficent to make the changes though. Good luck. [totally]

I can't thank you enough. This is exactly what I was needing. Wow, you can even copy and paste between different objects and even within different scenes. The biped props work exactly as I wanted, keeping their parent relationship under the pasted transform.

Thanks a lot :D

- Oh.. is it possible to tie keys to this? That would be so groovy.

macroScript CopyTransform category:"CopyPaste"
(
global saved_transform
if selection[1] != undefined do saved_transform = selection[1].transform
)

macroScript PasteTransform category:"CopyPaste"
(
global saved_transform
if selection[1] != undefined do selection[1].transform = saved_transform
)

i dont have access to max right now to test this out, but you might be able to add that to the end of the file that you made earlier and it should give you two more functions under "CopyPaste", then you should be able to bind them to any key you want.

Again, I dont have max right now, so the code might be a little off. You should be able to figure it out though.

Maxscript is definately powerful when it comes to doing little things like this that are really annoying to try to do any other way.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!