"OpenGL Game Programming" Premier Press (2004)

Started by
6 comments, last by Cacks 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi. I have the book "OpenGL Game Programming" that Kevin Hawkins and Dave Astle wrote and I'm having a few problems with it, specifically with the code provided in the examples. I got Visual Studio.NET a while back and have been working in C#, but it also has CPP7? (I think) ...well, I've ran into some snags. I can take the code off of the disk, open up the file in Visual Studio and it compiles fine. But I typed the EXACT same characters (I did a character comparison of "my" code against the code from the disk and it returned a 100% similarity) ...and the code will not compile. I believe the book gives setup instructions in CPP6; are there any separate instructions that I need to follow to get the code to work in VisStudio.NET? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Advertisement
It would help a lot if you told us (read: pasted directly from the compiler) exactly what errors you were getting.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
what errors are you getting?
I don't have access to it right now. I'll ask again sometime tomorrow when I can be more specific....sorry about that. I was hoping that someone might know the "standard" steps required to get the sample code to work in a CPP VisStudio.NET project.
Have you made sure that you linked up to the libraries correctly?
I'm pretty sure I did...but I don't have OpenGL on this comp, so I can't know for sure. I'll post back in here tomorrow when I get a chance to get to my other comp and get some details (rooming with my brother for the summer and he's asleep right now..OpenGL comp is in his bedroom. )
My guess is that your OpenGL libraries are not linked to the project.

Check out NeHe's OpenGL tutorial #1, he explains how to set up the project and link the files you will need.

You can find the tutorial, and many others here.

Lesson 1: setting up an OpenGL window.

If you need any additional assistance let me know.
Hi,

I got that book too. Open up your solution file. Then right click on the project eg fog in the solution explorer. Select properties from the resulting list. The properties window appears. Select the 'linker' folder on the left hand side. Select 'Input' from the Linker sublist. Click the browse button on additional dependencies. Additional Dependencies window will appear. Add 'opengl32.lib' & 'glu32.lib'. OK, then OK again.

Its on Page xxii at the start of the book if you wana have a look. I had the same problem myself, didn't know this had to be done & am not exactly 100% to what kind of libraries they are. Any1 Know?
Reject the basic asumption of civialisation especially the importance of material possessions

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement