• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
subflood

rotation and direction

This topic is 4837 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I'm trying to implement a particle system from an article I'm reading however, the article deals with 3D while I'm working with 2D and so I'm not too familar with some of the techniques they show. For example I'm unfamiliar with these declerations: float pitch, PitchVariation; float yaw, YawVariation; as I don't know what they are describing and therfore I'm assuming it's for 3D transformations which means they're useless for me, correct? Now, my real dilema however is that I get totally lost when the author starts talking about rotations and direction. I now that even though I'm implementing a 2D version I need to include rotations to describle the direction the particles will be heading too and so I'm stuck. for my particle structure I have: Vector dir; Vector pos; where vector is an array that holds two elements(x, y) emitter structure inclues Vector pos; float speed; and the above transformation variables which I'm not sure what they are for.

Advertisement
Hi there,

For an explanation of the terminology go here,

http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/Wright/airplane/control.html

So it looks like the authors of the article are just declaring an angle (e.g. yaw) and the amount that it changes over some period of time (e.g. yawVariation). If you want your particles to rotate, I'm assuming you'll want to include an angle variable as well.

-Josh

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!