• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Surg AKA Kunark

Getting into Win32

This topic is 4839 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I've started my hand at Windows 32 programming many times, sometimes I just gave up other times I just didn't have the times to sit down and learn it. But now Im getting close to taking it in college and like usual I want to teach myself some general knowledge of the entire thing. Now my plan is, to make one program over the next couple weeks or more, that basically replicates what Instant Messengers do, I've built one in VB before, as well as IRC client in VB. So I kinda understand the use of sockets, Ive made my own class to create a window. And I understand that it is a very very hard learning curve to go from Console Application Programming to Windows 32 API programming, Im hoping to get started with .NET as that is what we will be learning in college. So Im really just looking for some pointers in the right direction, and yes I am not a computer newb, I dont need to be directed to google. For those of you with some helpfull tips thanks ahead of time. For those of you who wish to tell me its too hard and I shouldn't even try, thanks for your input but Its going to go unnoticed. Thanks again to all that apply.

Advertisement
Win32 is being replaced with a new API, the .NET framework, due to that reason: it's too complex and quite error-prone. I'd recommend .NET for future Window applications. Your programs will be much more efficient with a greater amount of productivity. Have your focus there, and second on Win32 since .NET is basically a wrapper.

Well, I think the win32 programming is the basis to windows programming like MFC and etc. It makes me more understand how MFC works. SO, it think learning WIN32 programming is good for future.

Quote:
Original post by dxFoo
Win32 is being replaced with a new API, the .NET framework, due to that reason: it's too complex and quite error-prone. I'd recommend .NET for future Window applications. Your programs will be much more efficient with a greater amount of productivity. Have your focus there, and second on Win32 since .NET is basically a wrapper.

Win32 isn't going away, but yes, the .NET framework is what Microsoft would prefer people to use in the future. It is like C++, you can still program in C in it, but why would you want too...

In the case of .NET I'd prefer Win32 over using the managed stuff though. If you are using C# or whatever it's fine, but the managed C++ stuff is too nasty for me.

win32 isn't all that bad. It's messy, yes, it's ugly as hell, yes, and it's going to be replaced, yes. But it's not too hard to learn. I mean, it's straight C, even. There are no classes or COM objects or other fancy features to get your head around, just call a bunch of plain global functions.

It's big though, gonna take a while to learn to get around in it. No doubt about that. But it's no big complex mystery.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!