• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jimzy

what dose ID3DXEffect::ValidateTechnique check?

This topic is 4836 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want implement that different hardware use different "Technique" . If a "tecnique" use 16 textures in one pass (my hardware ony supports 8 textures), will ID3DXEffect::ValidateTechnique failed ? example: i write a shader , with two "Tecnique",Tec1,Tec2 ;Tec1 has 1 "pass" , use 16 textures in one "pass" ; Tec2 has 2 "pass" , use 8 textures per pass . I want implement that if the hardware supports 16 textures then choice Tec1 , if supports 8 textures then choice Tec2 . c++ code:? " if(...= ID3DXEffect::FindNextValidTechnique ()){ setTecnique(...) };"?

Advertisement
Yes this can be done and I think the way you meant is how it works. You will have to list your techniques from top to bottom from best (most demanding) to worst (cheapest hardware). Then using FindNextValidTechnique() the first technique (from the top) that works will be selected. If even the worst technique cannot be validated on the device the user is out of luck.

(or someone forgot to add a technique for a target card)

Greetz,

Illco

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!