as a game designer i need tools right?

Started by
14 comments, last by Trapper Zoid 18 years, 8 months ago
i'm a beginner but i will need a tool any way to design my games? but what about the tools like dark basic for non-programmers which can make full games ? can any one just make full game just like this then what's the benifet of study and books then thanks
Advertisement
Just having tools isn't enough. You need to have creativity and skill as well. Anyone can but paper and paints. Doesn't mean they can paint the Mona Lisa.
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Tools like Dark Basic still require a degree of programming, as far as I am aware. They also offer you far less flexibility than coding the engine yourself. They are definitely a good way for a designer to get a working game made however.
The problem with most systems that help you in writing programs is they don't always do exactly what you want. Java (and no I'm not trying to start a Java flame war)has had a hard time entering the embedded market due to things like the automatic trash collector which doesn't allow you to have deterministic programs.

Auto generating code may be able to make fine programs but I can't believe they will be even half as efficent (read require twice as fast a computer) as actually coded programs for some time.
- My $0.02
The only tool you need for game design is word processor (MS Word or Wordpad and a notebook). Game design has nothing to do with creating the game. It's the blueprint of the game in exact detail before you even begin to make the game.

There are some really great articles here about writing a game design. I suggest reading them first.

Any tool you find for easy game development will always be greatly limited in scope.
The tools I use for game design would be:

Wordpad:
It's a basic text editor that allows me some formatting options and which is included with windows. You could also use notepad if you didn't mind a lack of formatting, or something like Word if you don't mind paying for the extra features (although most people tend to pick up a copy of Office at some time anyways, so you probably have Word). Used to type up a design document. The formatting for bold headings, etc. is nice but entirely unneccesary; notepad is just fine.

MS Paint:
Again, it comes free with windows, and I don't need any fancy features for design. This is for creating simple diagrams to better illustrate an idea in the design document if required.

Whiteboard:
I have a small whiteboard I like to scribble ideas down on. It's very easy to change what I've written, and I can put it next to the computer when I'm coding or writing up the ideas.

A notepad:
Yes, an actual physical notepad. This is for writing down ideas I think of. You never know when a good idea might occur to you, and if you don't write it down you may not remember it later.

Both of the programs I mentioned are bundled with windows, and the two items I mentioned can be bought fairly cheaply - no need for anything fancy. [wink]

As for middleware authoring solutions and the like, I consider them good for creating simple prototypes of ideas (depending on the idea of course), and people who are skilled with them can create some quite good products, but they don't really compare to actual programming knowledge (or hiring a programmer if that isn't your thing).

- Jason Astle-Adams

Don't listen to any of them - the one absolutley critical thing you need is discipline. The ability to stick with one project until it is either done or proves itself not worth further work. I am a really good programer, but lack the discipline to stick with anything long enough to....
i find a notepad really useful as a programmer. Quite often i'll think of a solution to a problem im having when im not near a computer, and jotting it down on a notepad ensures i dont forget it. Same thing with designing, you never know when a good idea comes to you (i remember reading the guy who came up with the idea for skill trees in diablo thought of it while in the shower)
Quote:Original post by dAmAtA_cHiP
i find a notepad really useful as a programmer. Quite often i'll think of a solution to a problem im having when im not near a computer, and jotting it down on a notepad ensures i dont forget it. Same thing with designing, you never know when a good idea comes to you (i remember reading the guy who came up with the idea for skill trees in diablo thought of it while in the shower)

While in the shower? Surely diablo wasn't the first game to implement skill trees? I can't think of a game to prove my hypothesis but I don't remember playing diablo and thinking it's system was genius (since I'm sure I had seen something similar before).

I also get most of my ideas while in the shower, it's the one place where all you can do is think (and wash, I guess).

So my advice:

Get a shower.
The right tools are a knife and a deck of cards. You can design many fun games with those tools.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement