I'm sorry again but...

Started by
6 comments, last by mikeman 18 years, 8 months ago
OK, I'm sorry again for my ignorance about your rules. Once again, I wasn't aware of it. As I said, I'm not in computer sience but mechanical engineering and this project is part of my 3D modeling course. And now I'm stuck on the end of the project and what I wanted from you guys was at least a direction or some examples of the code that is similar to my project...I now I can learn it my self but I need some examples that I can run on my computer and study them. Thanks anyway and once again, I'm sorry, Vito.
Advertisement
Ok, little questions regarding specific parts of homeworks are ok, but don't think that we'll solve problem for you :-) Especially, read this before asking further questions.
Quote:Original post by Koshmaar
Ok, little questions regarding specific parts of homeworks are ok, but don't think that we'll solve problem for you :-) Especially, read this before asking further questions.

But he is a mechanical engineer (student?) so I dont think this is contrast with the rules; also in the case of homeworks the important is to learn (everyone learns form others... or not?)

Quote:Original post by Koshmaar
Ok, little questions regarding specific parts of homeworks are ok, ...

If I interpret kSquared's poetry (below) correctly, it seems that even that is not allowed. Although it's hard to determine if 'small' is referring to an actual rule, or just there to rhyme with 'all' :) I personally agree that it should be okay to ask little questions. Anyway, I tried to look op these homework rules/policies but they are not in the General FAQ or in the OpenGL Forum FAQ and therefore I cannot really blame grahek for braking them.

Tom

EDIT: Ok, I found it. The rule is posted in the General Programming Forum FAQ. Perhaps it should be moved to the General FAQ? We can't expect new posters to read all seperate forum FAQs before posting, right?

Quote:Original poetry by kSquared
GameDev's policy is not to answer  Homework questions big and small;Learn it for yourself next time  Or else you'll learn it not at all.

To grahek: can you describe briefly your problem? I cannot understand what that code should do :)...what is a 'drawer' ?
Sorry, but I've read following fragment in FAQ from Math and Physics forum some time ago, and thought that it would be somehow related to this forum:

Quote:
3b. Is it acceptable to post school homework questions?

It is NOT appropriate to simply ask for answers to homework questions. Especially those where the answer involves mathematical or physics derivations. Do the work for yourself. The purpose of homework is to teach you to solve problems for yourself, and you"re cheating yourself out of an education if you choose to take the answer from someone else"s hard work and thinking. Think about it. Will you be able to pass a comprehensive in-class examination if you don"t actually learn the material by practicing to solve problems given in homework assignments? I think not.

That said, properly stated homework questions are welcome. Here are some rules. (A) Ask your peers----other students at your school----and teacher first before posting questions here. (B) This is a forum for game development, and the questions should be related somehow to math and physics in game development. Be prepared to say how your question relates to game development. (C) When asking technical questions, show your own work in detail before asking any question. (D) Never ask for the answer. Ask for a hint or suggestion on how to proceed with finding the answer for yourself.

If you are a student, then you are bound by an honor system not to cheat. Its an unwritten contract between you and your teacher and school. YOU are the loser if you break the contract. Many times, it is obvious that a question is purely and simply a homework question. But other times it is less obvious. Do the right thing for YOURSELF and don"t cheat.

And as dimebolt said, General Programming FAQ:

Quote:
Q: I need a program to do this: *insert a carbon copy of a problem out of your textbook here*

A: Many of us here at GameDev are happily out of school and would prefer not to go back on your behalf. Those who are in school have their own homework to do. We won't be doing yours. If you need some help on some stuff from your homework and you've honestly tried and you just can't figure out this one little part, feel free to ask that specifically, and admit you're having trouble with your homework, because if you're making an effort we don't mind... but we won't be doing your homework for you.

So, IMHO, if he will rewrite his questions, we can answer them, right?
to OP:
Note that posting code outside source/code tags and in a foregin language really doesn't help. Code-reading is hard enough when you understand the function and variable names having them in slovenian(?) will not help most people here.

Also try to find the core problem, don't dump reams of code in our laps and say "it won't work, what's wrong?" be specific create the smallest possible (but no smaller) example that shows the complete problem.
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
Quote:
GameDev's policy is not to answer
Homework questions big and small;
Learn it for yourself next time
Or else you'll learn it not at all.

Hm, I wasn't aware that the policy is to not answer any homework question at all. It depends on what we mean by "homework question" though, is it "what do I have to write here so my code compiles?" or just about any valid question that will rise during the making of a homework? I thought the point is how you ask the question and what have you done yourself to answer it. I mean, if you have a homework and in some point you see you just don't have the knowledge to carry on, you will possibly search the internet for material. That means of course that you have tried yourself, know in general what the problem is, what questions must be asked and where to search. You could find a tutorial on the net, or have a conversation with a person that has read a similar one, it's pretty much the same thing. I don't understand what "learn it for yourself" means, we all learn new things from external sources. If I don't ask from anyone to write code for me, but just seek infos about a specific issue, what's the problem?

I didn't like grahek's post not because the question was risen through a homework, but because he just dumped the whole code(without tags,btw), didn't really explain the problem well, he just asked "can anyone do this part of the homework for me"?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement