Is there anywhere on the Internet that i can practise?

Started by
14 comments, last by NeverSayDie 18 years, 8 months ago
Hi! I was wondering if there are any places on the net where i can practice AI? So i wont need to set up a program and do all that stuff. Just somewhere where i can start coding on AI and see what happens. PS: I remember a game where you where supposed to code your own robot-AI. Does that still exist? Thanks in advance!
Hope I was helpful. And thank you if you were!
Advertisement
I think the game you're thinking of may be "Core Wars" which can be found at http://www.corewars.org/

I am currently planning on making a game like this, but where you program your bot by setting up a (layered) neural network. However, I am open to suggestions, such as including a scripting language (in core wars, you're programming in an asm-like language, I don't want that) or something else, so if you have any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them :)
In case you were wondering what to put in your next christian game; don't ask me, because I'm an atheist, an infidel, and all in all an antitheist. If that doesn't bother you, visit my site that has all kinds of small utilities and widgets.
If i find out something i'll PM you

Thanks for the help!
Hope I was helpful. And thank you if you were!
Hey Samsonite,

Actually I'm working on an app that sounds like it might be exactly what you want. It's a graphical neural network editor that's meant to be very easy and intuitive to use. I'm trying desperately to get it to a releasable state, I guess I will send you a PM when the first version is ready =)
You also have "Robocraft", that's really fun. You code your bot team in Java, they must win a capture-the-flag match. Many possibilies are enabled, like message between robots. And you can even sends the received ennemies messages to raise the bugs of the ennemy message handling code, that made beautiful chain explosion ;)
Pinacolada, that sounds like my project hehe. But I think I'll use lua for it instead of drag'n'drop neural netowrking.... or possibly both. Heh, so now I guess I'm remaking Robocraft with lua instead of java :P Oh well.
In case you were wondering what to put in your next christian game; don't ask me, because I'm an atheist, an infidel, and all in all an antitheist. If that doesn't bother you, visit my site that has all kinds of small utilities and widgets.
That's a good idea, RoboCraft was really slllooooowwwww, a JVM launched per robot. Performing something heavy like A* pathfinding was not a good idea..

But the rules and the robot API is real good example, well designed. It opens wide possibilities. Lua is lightweight, you can implements all tha API calls in C, or C++, it will be much faster.
The language I'm going to use is called FreeBASIC, and it's 100% compatiable with c (it's like c with basic syntax and some extra commands). I was thinking that high level stuff would be done in lua, and cpu intensive stuff, such as a* pathfinding, would be c or freebasic functions, which you have to buy (for game money of course) or upgrade before you can use.

For now it's going to be very simple though:
Two teams are batteling. Both teams have the same kind of bot (same abilities) with, but each team have their own lua script (same on all the team's bots). Each team has a base (one building), and when a bot is close to this base, it can order the base to build another bot.

The only kind of resource in the game is energy. The team (or team base) has some energy in a shared pool, and each bot has energy. Energy is required for many bot actions (bot energy) and for creating bots (base energy). It can be transfered from bot to bot and bot to base to bot. When a bot gets hit by a projectile or steps on a mine, it's energy decreases. If it drops under zero, the bot will die. Same goes for the base. So health and money is combined into one resource here.

You can order your base to generate batteries. This costs you some energy, and the generated batteries that can be picked up for energy is scattered all over the map, so you have to compete with the enemy to get these. This should make for some interesting strategies :)
Samsonite: I think what you are referring to is Robocode. You can find it at this link below

http://robocode.sourceforge.net/?Open&ca=daw-prod-robocode
thwart: Heh, there are games called both things.

Here's another one:
http://gamehippo.com/ (Robowar 5)

That one has a sucky scripting language and only square, empty levels. But it's there.

I still wanna make mine ;)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement