• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lepre

starting a bit after the beginning

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi everyone, that's my first post here. i'm 20 yo from italy and i'm a programmer, at least i should :) in the past i used pascal, delphi, c/c++, java, php and others. i also did a game (four!) in delphi with delphix and i followed a small course about SDL at school. so i'm not a total newbie but for sure i don't know that much. i read the beginners guide on the site resources and it was interesting. then i went over the others faq and it was all about graphic/sound/net etc. i know them are necessary for gaming but now i'm more interested in the pure code of the game to understand it deeply and make my ideas work before of making graphics etc. i'm reading a bit quake1 source code and i can understand it quite well. but is for sure a bit project with many files and i want to start with the core only of the game. what do you suggest me? i hope i was clear. sorry if there are errors in my english :)

Advertisement
Although you are not a total beginner, I suggest starting from the beginning. You didn't say how long ago you used to program, but unless it was fairly recent I suggest you pick up a good book which covers the majority of the programming language you want to learn, it will be worthwhile even if you will only use it as a reference book. The choice of language should be made on the type of game you would like to create, but it sounds like you should try C or C++. If you are confident enough already with these languages you may want to learn how to setup a window using the WINAPI, and after that begin learning how to create an engine for your game.

well, i started programming 4 years ago, and it's 3 years i use all java, c/c++ and php.

my last project was 2 months ago for the end of my high school. it was a site for an immaginary programming society in php of almost 3000 lines.

soon i'll also switch to php 5 for the new web site of my upcoming clan in quake4 :)

for sure i'm looking forward to use c++ for games since java is not that fast.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Go find some good books and get studying. :D Then make some games.

What's more to say?

Basically look up OpenGL and DirectX. I taught myself from books over the past 2-3 years, I think that's really the only way to get into this sort of thing. There are a couple of degree courses around too if that's your kind of thing.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!