• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
lovehealthsuccess

Player controls and customization

This topic is 4835 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For 2D games delivered online (no software required on user's computer)... What types of player customization...aside from being able to change the "frame or skin" of the interface....and aside from personalizing avatars....can be offered if I want to absolutely maximize the player's ability to customize their game experience? I'm just stuck on this...and could use some brainstorming ideas. What 2D online games out there currently do you think offer the greatest degree of such customization features? CHEERS! D

Advertisement
Well it depends on how many interface features your game offers. It's also a question of whether the user should be able to change the way the interface is setup or which features are inluded.

You could use CSS and DHTML to allow for a user to move and delete status panels or add remove controls. Perhaps you could provide a macro control creation device so that player could improve performance by making macros and building large database of specific actions in the game.

What type of game features does your 2D online game offer and is it a multi-user game or a single player.

5minutes....thank you.

Our suite of games is in the "brainstorming" phase right now (ain't that the hardest one to complete?!!). "User customization" is our mantra...and we are interested in hearing all fresh perspectives.

What would you say is an example of a "wicked cool" 2D game that features a high level of USEFUL, game experience enhancing....user customization?

CHEERS!

D

being able to mod your game. thats always the best.

user changeable hud color/transparency.

lots of other stuff too.

Viper...

I just heard a podcast about that very thing.

I-Tunes Podcast directory: business
:- InfoTalk™: Open Source
Media InfoTalk™: Multiplayer online game developer Linden Lab Second Life

I'm still interested in hearing from some of you guru's as to specific examples of 2D games...any genre...where you feel that a high level of user controls (beyond basic skinning and avatar selection) has been created in a way that truly enhances the gameplay and the user experience.

What comes to mind...as the "best of the best"?

CHEERS!

D

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!