BAH! *stabs directX*

Started by
13 comments, last by gav86 18 years, 8 months ago
DIE!DIE!DIE!DIE! I'm sick of it .. every time I go to try and learn it. . . I either get stuck, my tutorials fail me, or I get sidetracked. SDL You've won yourself a new convert, not because you're better, but because I've admitted (temporary) defeat to directX. (Microsoft will be the death of me I swear!) At the moment I just want to get in and make some games, even if they arent the games I want to make eventually (you know. . that dream game where the entire universe is simulated down to the subatomic particles...Oh wait..maybe I should just go outside and live life >_> ) Once i've actually made a game with SDL that you've all played, then i'll go have a look at directX. Now its your job to make sure I dont go trying directX again until I'm REALLY ready!
Advertisement
first i would try imagine your computer as a machine, and programs as a series of bytes.

the mountains quake, and a little mouse pops out
micro_mus::You stole the 200000th post in the beginners forums from me.

I suggest getting a good book on the DX API's and studying them hard!

P.S. Post your problems not your rants!
>_> now comeon give me some credit..

I'm studying computer science at uni.. . simple programming concepts are easy . .hell ASSEMBLY is easier than friggin' directX!

Anyway . . I simply dont have the patience to sit here posting every 2nd time I try to compile something new.

Someone recommend me a good book and maybe I'll consider going on with directX.

DONT SAY "Beginning DirectX9". . It does a great job of teaching you how to write programs that dont even quit properly (not to mention numerous stuffups with the code in the book)
Don't give up, Gav! Sure, making a game will give you a lot of confidence. However, continue to focus a bit of resources toward DirectX in the interim.

I myself am only an amateur at DirectX, but I'm not giving up. I've been trying to learn it for years now, and I constantly get distracted from doing it. It's a pain in the patoot, but I'm not giving up.

Perhaps we could form a group? Like, people who are interested in DirectX, but always get distracted because they don't get it/aren't rewarded/need support? It could be like a never quit quitting thing, but for people who aren't interested in quitting? I don't know, I'm rambling. But, don't give up!
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. - Willy Wonka.
thats a good idea actually. . .

half the problem is i dont know ANYONE who is into game dev. .. I dont even know anyone into programming/nerdy stuff...

All my friends are too cool . . who knows how i ended up with them!

Another option I've been seriously considering is getting into 3d modelling/animation instead of programming

- would let me get straight down to the creative side of things which i think is what's frustrating me at the moment with programming - its not a creative process yet.

Are there many artists here on gamedev or all just progammers/designers?
My impression is that it's 65-35, but remember that beginning programmers do most, if not all, of they're own artwork. Which is what you want to do in the beginning. Learning the whole process is important. Or, so I'm told.

I'm a horrible artist, and art was really holding me back. So, if you're good at that whole physically creative thing, then go for it. But remember, 3d and 2d artists need to learn to program a bit, just as the programmer needs to learn how to make some art. (Even if it's gawd-awful programmer art.)

Also, it helps to teach someone else what you've learned already. I think that's the hardening of the foundation. Out of curiosity, how much have you learned in DirectX? I wonder if you know enough to teach me a bit?

Patrick
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. - Willy Wonka.
Don't give up on DirectX so quickly!

Like all things programming, DirectX only seems complicated because you still trying to wrap your head around it. A good beginner's book would help you tremendously.

Where did you get stuck anyway? Were you following a tutorial or just bashing away at keys screaming "Die Die Die!" as you read the documentation?

And if it means anything, I'm sure many programmers would say that assembly is more complicated than DirectX so it just goes to show that it's all about the way that you learn the material.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning

Basically when it comes to directX I dont know shite.
About the furthest I got was rendering a polygon from a list of vertices. .. which i've since forgotten (have had numerous attempts at DX over the past couple years. . although my C++ general knowledge is much better now!)

If someone can point me to some good, well explained tutorials, or a good book, I'm sure I would be capable.

intergeek . . you could probably teach me something more likely, but either way, put me on msn if you've got it - will be good to talk to someone about it to keep me motivated.
gav_notsocrazy@hotmail.com
Quote:Original post by skittleo
Were you following a tutorial or just bashing away at keys screaming "Die Die Die!" as you read the documentation?

That's like me when I'm writing documentation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement